• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Timing Chain "Key"

Exxon Valdez Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Was driving down the highway, jeep backfired. About a mile later it back fired twice, RPMs dropped to 1200 but kept running and I notice 0 oil pressure so I shut it off and coasted to a stop. :explosion Guy in a nice yota gave me a ride to a friends house and the next day I towed it home. Had a friend crank the engine while I peered in the valve cover and none of the valvetrain moved. Tore it apart to check the timing chain today and while it was fine, the sprocket would free-wheel on the crank. The key that holds the sprocket on the crank had shattered!

Inside the sprocket
Timing005.jpg

Looks like it rolled over it and deformed the sprocket
Timing002.jpg

And whats left of that half moon key.
Timing004.jpg

Timing003.jpg

This is in a 4.7 stroker with about 30k on it. What would cause this? Somebody hammering the pin on or something? I didnt assemble the engine so I dont know.

I am going to replace both sprockets and the chain. Would a set come with that key? What about a double roller setup? :repair:

No key comes with the set.Have to buy separate.

Wayne

Back