• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake caliper bleeder

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question.. stores close soon :banghead::)

I went to bleed out my brakes after doing some work (brake booster swap) and my drivers side caliper bleeder screw broke off. I am about to go buy some new bleeder screws but is there any (relatively easy) way to salvage the caliper? Or should I just go get a new caliper and all? I am kindof on short time since I want/need to get inspected first thing in the morning and I have a feeling bleeding the brakes may be a requirement for that :gee:

Thanks!

Edit: nevermind the calipers are pretty damn cheap for a reman. I will just get a new one since I am so short on time.

Once they break off, they are usually VERY hard to get out. You only need to have tried that once, and you'll just get rebuilt calipers from then on.

In a pinch, they can be bled by sliding a feeler gage between the piston and the seal.

I've got a couple spare calipers around I'll toss you for small money, if you need one still I can bring one by tomorrow, probably heading for Colin's place. I am pretty sure I have both right and left on hand but I might be wrong, can always just flip the caliper upside down to bleed it I guess :gee:

You can buy a bleeder repair kit. If you have time, check it out at an auto parts store. What you do is drill out the old bleeder, which will almost certainly kill the seat. Then you tap out the hole to accomodate the repair kit which contains a fitting with a new seat and a bleeder. The seat is standard 1/8 inch NPT thread.

It's cheaper than a new caliper if you have tap, the drill and the time, but if your calipers are getting old and you have to go to the store anyway, it might be quicker and easier just to replace.

I keep one of those kits on hand anyway, though, just in case I shear off a bleeder at an inconvenient time.

Back