• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS Questions for a Newbie

bwinter1946

NAXJA Forum User
I tried search but the results did not answer all my questions.

I have read enough to know the Crank Shaft Position Sensor (CPS) is a known failure item. Therefore I want to have a spare in my '99 at all times. The local dealers want $121-$126.50 for their part. the local Napa wants $99.

1. Any advantage to the "Jeep" part?

2. Would a junk yard CPS not be a good idea?

3. I've seen AC/Delco brands online. Any good?

4. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Avoid "Made in China", go with a brand name. I have had good service from NAPA, but I haven't tried one of their CPS/CKPs yet.

Go with the napa one, their warranty is the best. I just replaced mine through them a few days ago, went with there brand for about 80, and stay away from one from a junker.

I bought a Borg/Warner for $80 fom my local parts shop. It said made in USA.

Already in the spare box.

Thanks for the opinions and help.

1. No

2. Yes. A junkyard CPS would not be a good idea.

3. Go to NAPA. Get a new one.

4. NAPA

Disclaimer: I hereby swear that I am not an owner, partner, stockholder, employee or otherwise profit from NAPA Auto Parts or any of their subsidiaries. I just believe IMHO that when your CPS goes out you shouldn't screw around, just get a new one and replace it.

I would not use a junkyard CPS as a spare unless it came out of a C4C vehicle, which would imply that the engine ran when the vehicle was turned in.

Still, better to get one from a part-out of a known-running vehicle in your area, or brand new.

CPS is easiest if you have very thin arms, three feet of extensions, a few u-joints, and maybe some training in being a contortionist. Dropping the front driveshaft helps give you a little more space.

Are these things hard to change yourself?

The first one you ever change IS hard to do, pain in the butt, "why'd they put this &*%$#&@ thing here" stupid. After you've done one the rest are easy (15 minutes easy).

Be sure to route the wiring so that it does not make contact with the exhaust manifold. Pack the socket with grease to hold on to the bolts so you don't drop them in to the bell housing.

Are these things hard to change yourself?

I learned how-to on a C4C XJ at the JunkYard. I needed one that day ! I fond just a 12" extensions works with skinny arms. I also removed the front drive shaft and the transmission shift cable. BUT be careful not to brake the cable end. I did that on one at the Junkyard. Oops,..

Remove the transmission shift cable and also the support plate and arm
thancbl.jpg

I find its easier to change on a stock XJ rather than a lifted one. On a lifted one its just that many more inches away from you when you're laying on the ground. Packing the socket with grease is the best advice. Do it for each bolt when removing and each bolt when putting it back together. When you get your new cps home uncoil the wire and sit it somewhere warm and get the wire straight. That can make it a real biatch if the wire works against you.

Back