• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reiter Foothills DNR update (Work Party 5/16)

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
Next Workparty, mapping out motorized trails!!!!!
May 16th, 9:30AM

May 5, 2010

IN THIS UPDATE:

· Progress Report

· What’s Next

· Get Involved - Help Support DNR Grant Funding Requests!

Progress Report

On Saturday, May 1, Reiter Trail Watch organized a free chainsaw training put on by Stihl Inc. Twenty two volunteers participated in the training and also worked on decommissioning old routes that aren’t part of the long-term recreation management plan. Read more on our Blog at: http://bit.ly/akT4M3

At the last focus group meeting April 28, the group offered a lot of great feedback and ideas that will improve the final trail designs. Discussion centered on some details for motorized trails and general concepts for non-motorized trails.

What’s Next

The next work party is on Sunday, May 16. The day’s work will include planning for the motorized trail system. If you are interested in laying out where trails could go in the future, please join DNR staff. Meet at 9:30 a.m. at the gravel parking area off Reiter Rd.

Directions to the Reiter gravel parking area: Travel U.S. Hwy 2 to the southeast outskirts of Gold Bar. Turn north on Reiter Road, and in less than a mile you will come to a split in the road. Continue to your right on Reiter Road to the old gravel pit/parking area.

For more information about volunteering at Reiter Foothills Forest, contact David Way, 360-854-2830 or [email protected].

Help Support DNR Grant Funding Requests

The Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is applying for four grants: three from the Washington Wildlife and Recreation Program (WWRP) and one from the Recreation Trails Program (RTP). The WWRP grants provide funding for non-motorized recreation and restoration in the Reiter Foothills. The RTP grant is for funding for off-road vehicle education. These grants are just the first round of the grants DNR will apply for to get funding for recreation at Reiter. The four grants include:

• Reiter Foothills Trail System Acquisition (Grant # 10-1069)

• Reiter Foothills Trail System Development Phase 1 (Grant # 10-1070)

• Reiter Foothills Restoration (Grant # 10-1071)

• Reiter Off Road Vehicle Education (Grant # 10-1621)

If you are interested in helping DNR obtain grant funding for Reiter, please send a letter explaining your support and include the specific grant(s) by grant number(s). Your letters of support will go a long way in helping DNR obtain grant funding. We appreciate your support.

Send letters by July 16 to David Way at 919 North Township St., Sedro Woolley, WA 98284-9384 or to [email protected].

Candace Johnson

Assistant Region Manager, State Lands

Northwest Rgion
Washington State Department of Natural Resources
Recreation Program
360-854-2803
www.dnr.wa.gov

Become a fan of DNR on Facebook!

Re: Reiter Foothills DNR update

Thanks for the update, Michael.

The next work party is on Sunday, May 16. The day’s work will include planning for the motorized trail system. If you are interested in laying out where trails could go in the future, please join DNR staff. Meet at 9:30 a.m. at the gravel parking area off Reiter Rd.
This sounds like it would be interesting to attend, and help route new trails. Perfect opportunity to get involved. I hope some of the North end guys can make it.

MODS!! Why isn't this stickied?

Michael, I haven't been around here much lately. As always, I greatly appreciate all the work you do with the preservation of our local trails. I'm a bit confused with what exactly Candace is looking for. I'd love to help, but like I said I'm confused. I like most people have never been involved with any kind of grant process. Can we get an example of what a letter should read like? Can we submit letters for all four grants? Can we send multiple letters for the same grant? Is it one per household, or can one be submitted for my 4 year old? I know this sounds ridiculous, but my kids love camping/wheeling just as much as I do.

If you're unsure I can always contact Candace and post answers to all my questions.

Thanks again Michael!
Paul

PS With all our new taxes, we need to make sure all our newly stolen money goes towards funding for things we can enjoy/appreciate.

Appreciate your efforts, Michael.

Thanks for the reminder, Paul.

Directions to the Reiter gravel parking area: Travel U.S. Hwy 2 to the southeast outskirts of Gold Bar. Turn north on Reiter Road, and in less than a mile you will come to a split in the road. Continue to your right on Reiter Road to the old gravel pit/parking area.

For more information about volunteering at Reiter Foothills Forest, contact David Way, 360-854-2830 or [email protected].

Michael, I haven't been around here much lately. As always, I greatly appreciate all the work you do with the preservation of our local trails. I'm a bit confused with what exactly Candace is looking for. I'd love to help, but like I said I'm confused. I like most people have never been involved with any kind of grant process. Can we get an example of what a letter should read like? Can we submit letters for all four grants? Can we send multiple letters for the same grant? Is it one per household, or can one be submitted for my 4 year old? I know this sounds ridiculous, but my kids love camping/wheeling just as much as I do.

If you're unsure I can always contact Candace and post answers to all my questions.

Thanks again Michael!
Paul

PS With all our new taxes, we need to make sure all our newly stolen money goes towards funding for things we can enjoy/appreciate.

Paul,
I appologize for not keeping up with this thread. I unfortunately can't make the work party and didn't come back to keep up with the questions.

The grants are how many of the DNR areas get funding for projects. These grants (as little as I understand) are all government funding for specific areas of interest for the government.

Yes, you can write letters, as far as I am aware there are NO limits on the number of letters, or how many people from a house hold send, etc. Really they are just a "letter of support" for a cause for a specific reason that you think is important. Obviously if you send 10 letters from the same household it doesn't hold as much weight at 10 letters from 10 households but support in all forms should help.

If you want more detail than that you can call Candace or Dave.

Michael

Back