• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken spark plug......

Dozer11B

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys looks like the threads on the spark plug for #3 cylinder of my 2.8L V6 was seized in the head. When I tried to take it out, it snapped and I got the plug out except for the threaded portion.

Any ideas on how to get this out without removing the head???

did it break flush with the top of head? if so, can you get a dremel tool with grinding disc in there to cut a slot? if you grind into the head a bit it shouldnt be a problem. then use a large straight screwdriver to turn out.

or drill hole, but not through the plug, and use an easy out?

it didn't really break- more like came apart. the threaded portion is still inside, with a hole through it.

I'm gonna try to JB weld it back together and then pull it out after the PB blaster.

Thanks guys- I'll keep you posted...........

I doubt JB weld will work... but good luck.

:roflmao:JB weld, give me a break. That is a total waste of time.

SO, porcelain part of plug is destroyed?

Metal part of plug is sheared off between the wrench hex and the threads?

If the above is true, then you need to:

1.) Soak in PB blaster.

2.) Make sure the piston is down at the bottom of the stroke.

3.) Tap a easy-out into the hole in the center of the spark plug remains.

4.) Try to back the plug remains out.

:roflmao:JB weld, give me a break. That is a total waste of time.

Hey slick, while your suggestion is appreciated, your response to others are not. If there is one thing my Grandma told that really stuck it was this: "Don't be a dick."

Here's what I'm working with if it helps:

IMGP0024.jpg

It is obviously the one on the right.

He's right though. Trying to use JB weld in this kind of situation is only going to make things worse, you might as well use hot glue or RTV, and I would hope any such ridiculous suggestion would get that kind of response. I'm pretty sure he has forgotten more about cars in general, and XJs in particular, than I will ever know.

I was just a tad less sarcastic about saying it probably wouldn't work.

Hey slick, while your suggestion is appreciated, your response to others are not. If there is one thing my Grandma told that really stuck it was this: "Don't be a dick." :rattle:

IMGP0024.jpg

It is obviously the one on the right.

What? Lighten up. If Winterbeater's comment on JB Weld--a friggin joke in this situation IMHO--gets under your skin you are in for a rough ride around here. :firedevil

Hey Ben Dyer gave it a shot and made a suggestion. Just because some cat here is a mechanical guru who has been through it all and has got an answer for every bad situation, doesn't mean he's got to shit on the guy.

IMGP0024.jpg

Well, IMO, you're screwed. Whether it's simply seized or even cross-threaded, you'll need to pull the head off. Any attempt to drill, cut or grind will drop shavings into the cylinder. With the head off, it should be relatively easy to drill it out, then chase the threads with the proper tap.

Good luck.

J-B is just going to spin in the hole 99.999% chance.
Skip it and go to a more serious method.

Many here HAVE "been there, done that" on many vehicles for many, many years, if you don't want suggestions then don't ask.

Good Luck,
Orange

(P.S. Pull the head !)

Go buy some carb cleaner--the dip kind. Place a few teaspoon fulls around the broken plug, wait fifteen minutes. Use an appropriate size EZ-out to remove the piece.

Hey Roger that Joe. Gonna get after it tomorrow. I'll post up how it goes...... Thanks a lot.

Thanks Horseman. That's the plan at this point. Just picked up an EZ out a few minutes ago. Gonna tackle the issue tomorrow.

They make a type of easy out for plumbing that might work. Also they have a plumbing tol log like a hex with a serrated circle in it. AS you rotate it the sereated circle expands to grip the inside of the plug. Good luck. Also along with pentrating oil this is also the possibility of using heat, or heat and ice.

Back