• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkel?

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know where I can get an Airflow snorkle without paying $350? I'm thinking snorkel, but my choices are limited since:
1) I don't like the popular Safari snorkel
2) I won't use sewage pipe on the outside of my XJ
3) I don't wanna pay $300+ (ummm ... yeah that's about right)

Any other ideas?

They're pretty rare in the used market as not many run them, and those that do, make the choice fairly concretely since you end up with an integrated part that's fairly hard to
reverse once installed.
www.sierraexpeditions.com has the safari version for $350.00 with free shipping, but I guess if you don't like that design, Dirk at dpg is probably the best bet.

www.dpgoffroad.com I think. EDIT: just checked, yeah, he's 350.00, too. Hmmm, sorry, I thought he was cheaper than that.

They're pretty rare in the used market as not many run them, and those that do, make the choice fairly concretely since you end up with an integrated part that's fairly hard to
reverse once installed.
www.sierraexpeditions.com has the safari version for $350.00 with free shipping, but I guess if you don't like that design, Dirk at dpg is probably the best bet.

www.dpgoffroad.com I think. EDIT: just checked, yeah, he's 350.00, too. Hmmm, sorry, I thought he was cheaper than that.
Ahh ... but I might be able to persuade Dirk to give me a discount if he has the Airflow. We've done a LOT of business. Let me put on my best girlie smile ... :D

Thanks for the links!

It draws air from the cowl, into the stock airbox. No cone filter in the cowl (that has to be done on the passenger side, due to the wiper motor/linkage, and folks normally ditch the stock airbox in the process).

Thats what I thought looking at their pics.... Exactly like my safari. Is this some sort of a knock off?

its the same as the safari snorkel just with out the name on the side. Same company that makes them. The Chinese don't care who they sell to.

its the same as the safari snorkel just with out the name on the side. Same company that makes them. The Chinese don't care who they sell to.

those snorkels are cheap, crappy knockoffs. no way I'd trust them over a quality safari or airflow.

I have abs now, but I've got a 8.25 in my garage, so I might eventually go with the airflow. much better/more direct routing.

I have to say I like the safari's body shape better, though.

for me, having hydraulic'd a motor before, and experienced throwing a
rod a week later, while doing 70 on the 5 freeway, a $300 snorkel is not
a poseur mod. I could simply choose not to drive in water, but with raised breathers, dielectic greased connections, and a quality snorkel, I don't see why I can't have a little H20 adventure now and then...:)

unless you have a super clean cherokee I would really recommend using 2 inch PVC pipe. A 45* elbow matches the angle of the A pillar very well. I topped mine off with a galvanized roof vent cap. painted the cap black, and plan to paint the rest of it tan to mach my bumper.

oh and it cost me about $40 (cap was $8, and a rubber flex connector was $7)

I mean If i had the money I would get the airflow, heres a picture.

25835_1440030080558_1227211950_3214.jpg

25835_1440030320564_1227211950_3214.jpg

Exhaust tubing?

From JF, best looking homemade snorkel I've seen.

This is the best way I could think of to do mine since I hate PVC and the risk of shattering it in my -10 below winters. And buying a $400 dollar plastic one is ridiculous. My Solution... 3" Exhaust tubing.
3340whg.jpg

29bycf9.jpg

2cgg6zs.jpg

I have to agree with Coastie on this one.

I don't want to spend $350, but if that's the only way to get something that looks decent, I might front the cash. What I definitely will NOT do is use PVC pipe on my Jeep. "Super clean" might be in the eyes of the beholder, but I would wake up every day & hate to look at it. Heck, if I don't like the looks of the ARB, you think I'm gonna be happy with sewage pipe?

On this?

Asshesits.jpg

Might not be the best looking XJ out there (especially now with a rack & body armor), but in my eyes, she's a looker.

Back