• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my gear install

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
this is my first gear install and this is my pattern on the 4th try.
think i've got it. .007 backlash
100_0444.jpg

100_0443.jpg

What axle is it,that will tell more?

In that case Id tighten up the backlash.My personal preference on a D30 is .004-.005".Also if you do re-check them,see if you can apply a little more pressure/resistance on the gears for a clearer pattern.

Your pinion is way too deep. You need to remove some shims from behind the pinion bearing cup. Not trying to knock you but have you read any write ups on how to do gears? You want the pattern to end up centered between the bottom of the tooth groove and the top of the tooth groove. Set your backlash (after you have the pinion set) to .006"-.012". If you need further help, you can call my cell phone at (951) 225-5551.

Your pinion is way too deep. You need to remove some shims from behind the pinion bearing cup. Not trying to knock you but have you read any write ups on how to do gears? You want the pattern to end up centered between the bottom of the tooth groove and the top of the tooth groove. Set your backlash (after you have the pinion set) to .006"-.012". If you need further help, you can call my cell phone at (951) 225-5551.

I agree on the pinion depth,but thats WAY to much backlash for a D30!

I agree on the pinion depth,but thats WAY to much backlash for a D30!
That's based on the installation guide from Yukon as well as quite a bit of experience installing gears. The reason for having backlash is that the whole differential heats up as it is run reducing the clearance between the ring and pinion and if the backlash is too low then the gears wear excessively and get very hot, which is the most common cause of gear failure. Some people use a tight backlash to try to avoid noisy gears but longevity is more important to me than quietness.

Does tight backlash actually reduce noise? I always figured that since the gears are in constant contact anyways unless you're slamming it back and forth from drive to reverse, backlash only really affected oiling and wear patterns / contact area. Then again, I'm a gear dunce...

x2 but i always try to go on the low side of the scale to combat gear humm especially on a non disco axle. but humm is more about contact pattern neway

Does tight backlash actually reduce noise? I always figured that since the gears are in constant contact anyways unless you're slamming it back and forth from drive to reverse, backlash only really affected oiling and wear patterns / contact area. Then again, I'm a gear dunce...
Setting up the backlash tight can reduce noise in the short term but it overheats the gears resulting in a short lifespan as well as creating alot more wear material in the oil resulting in prematurely worn out bearings and seals.

Setting up the backlash tight can reduce noise in the short term but it overheats the gears resulting in a short lifespan as well as creating alot more wear material in the oil resulting in prematurely worn out bearings and seals.

Maybe if you got it too tight,but .004" isn't too tight on a D30,proper break-in is the most critical.

Back