• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another broken dana30 detroit.

woodkrawler

NAXJA Forum User
just thought i would vent a bit....on our trip last weekend to tellico i blew a ujoint in short shaft in my dana30 and at the same time the detroit decided to blow to!! replaced the shaft and found out the locker would on only lock on the pass. side. anyway i know this has been covered, its just frusterating that you pay $455.00 for the "stronger" setup for the dana 30 and it breaks that easily!! i ran loc-rites for years with out this problem and the detroit is supposed to be the stronger set-up.
IMHO - im only running re 4.5" lift with 285/75/15 Maxxis Bighorns on rubicon moabs with 4.88s. -- not like im trying to run 36" TSLs on steel wheels or something...

Here are some pictures of Lincoln's carnage... Remember he's only running 33's and 4.88's.

It looks like a pretty easy fix but its still pretty rediculous to break the clutch assembly that easily.

1. Teeth...who needs stinking teeth?
BDO038.jpg

2. OH!... there they are...
BDO039.jpg

3. Jewelry anyone?
BDO043.jpg

When you snap a shaft, it usually takes out the side gears on a detroit. I would say about 75% of the time, you take a shaft out under load, you are going to take out the side gears or "clutch" I don't care if it's a d30 or d44 or D60, it's going to happen.

If you run a lock-right, the lock-right is much more forgiving to axleshaft breakage because it doesn't have as much recoil, and wants to "let go" of the torque earlier.

IMHO run a lock-rite in your D30. But don't listen to me, I've only blown up one detroit.

On my blown up DETROIT, it was warrantied, and replace free of charge.

Karl, how long did you have to wait to find out if it was going to be warrantied? Several people I know have broken one and said it takes 4-6weeks to get any response about warranty from detroit? Thats pretty rediculous. Yeah we also know that when a shaft lets go the detroit usually goes as well (same thing happend w/ my cousin's 60). Oh Well... We're just trying to let everyone else know about the issues before they spend $500 on a locker.

Did I read somewhere that you shouldn't move your car even 5 feet with a broken u joint? It was like in some DANA 30 tech or something, could this have something to do with your locker busting. I'm not an axle expert....

GreenGoblin said:
Did I read somewhere that you shouldn't move your car even 5 feet with a broken u joint? It was like in some DANA 30 tech or something, could this have something to do with your locker busting. I'm not an axle expert....

i busted instantly when the ujoint went i instantly lost power to the short shaft.

lincoln

uncc civilengineer said:
Karl, how long did you have to wait to find out if it was going to be warrantied? Several people I know have broken one and said it takes 4-6weeks to get any response about warranty from detroit? Thats pretty rediculous. Yeah we also know that when a shaft lets go the detroit usually goes as well (same thing happend w/ my cousin's 60). Oh Well... We're just trying to let everyone else know about the issues before they spend $500 on a locker.

It does take 4 to 6 weeks. I bought a lock right and set it up in a carrier, for when I break my detroit. That way, when the Detroit is at trachtech getting fixed, I still have my lock-right to put in there for the time being.

Funny thing is, I have yet to break the lock right.

Back