• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Worlds best ratchet???

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
Just like the title says. I'm looking for you guys' opinions on what you believe to be the world's best ratchet. I'm in the market for some new tools (for professional use) and always like getting actual feedback.

I've always liked Snap-On's 80 series ratchets. Very smooth and comfortable. But these days I KNOW for the price there has to be some other competition. Don't get me wrong, they make some bangin tools, but half the time the price is just for the name. Never been a huge fan of MAC, and I've broken more Crapsman ratchets than you could shake a stick at. Never tried Matco, but would like. Heard mixed reviews about SK. I also want to purchase one of the new style HF ratchets and use it until it breaks. Just to see how long it will last :)

I've been looking into some German and other companies recently. Hazet, Stahlwille, Koken, etc. They seems to all get extremely positive feedback, but I think most people have never heard of them unless you're a BMW/Audi/MB/Porsche freak. I've used some Knipex electrical tools from Germany, and they were absolutely amazing. This is what kinda caught my eye for the Euro tool scene.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Honestly I buy Craftsman or Snap-On for the main reason that if it break i have easy access to get a new one, plain and simple. Ive busted a few craftsman's and the same amount of snap-on but i always know a new one is less than 5min away. I buy used ratchets dirt cheap at swap meet knowing there is a warranty attached and easy access for replacement.

Knipex rocks! I use their compound action dykes every day. Hazet and Mantra do make some nice tools but they are a little spendy.

I still prefer the swivel head SnapOn over most of what's available.
62100.JPG

BTW VW/Audi for me

ive got a craftsman ergonomic ratchet, love it.
i dont turn wrenches for a living, so i cant justify litterally investing in a ratchet... i just want something good, that'll last a while. the stuff that comes with ratchet sets's from home depot suck (i use the 99 peice set, i like being able to take an entire socket set down with me to the vehicle. however, the ratchets suck so i take the craftsman ratchet.)

the craftsman i use was like $35, and when i bought it i bought it for myself as a gift. so when i use it, i like it =)
http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00944993000

I am still using my 3/8" craftsman ratchet from 2002 (was used daily for two years at a quicklube garage plus my jeep wrenching and junkyard hooliganism) and my 1/2" that I just bought a month ago is holding up rather nicely, even after I got pissed off at something and used it as a hammer. I've broken a wally-world no-name ratchet and 3 husky ratchets within an hour of buying them.

Not sure I'd spend money on a snap-on, but they sure are nice. As for electrical, my Klein lineman's pliers have survived me using them on many things I should not have applied them to... steel brake lines, small bolts, coat hangar wire, etc etc.

I use craftsman because that's the set my wife bought me about 10 years ago. However, even being 5'10", 155, their ratchets still don't hold up even just for recreational use. I've only "broken" one of them, but have had several more go bad with notchy internals that skip and reverse on their own. I bought a Napa brand swivel head 3/8 ratchet a few years ago and loved it. Then I lost it at a pick n pull in Spokane a couple years later. Still mad about that. (If anybody here happened to find it, will pay shipping to 93614!)

As with most things cost is relative. If you figure in the cost of driving to Sears every time you eat the ratchet internals, good rachets pay for themselves.

That being said, I have used Craftsman since I was 12 and still keep them in my box. I generally use them for JY work, Jeeps, Trucks and dirty/wrecked cars.

The no questions asked returns make them useful for abusive work, most Sears cashiers wouldn't know the difference between breakage and abuse.

. I also want to purchase one of the new style HF ratchets and use it until it breaks. Just to see how long it will last :)
I have alot of snap on and craftsman tools, and a bunch of HF stuff mixed in, the one tool i love is my 1/2" HF ratchet. its pure beef. after breaking my snap on breaker bar on a 36mm (axle nut) the harbor frieght got it done. for $10.. its a "top shelf" faverite in my box.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-heavy-duty-composite-ratchet-66314.html

I've abused a Proto 3/8" (Pear Head) for over 10 years now and comparitively broken a couple 3/8" and 1/2" craftsman ratchets in the same time span. I like the Proto because its low profile design is very helpful working on aircraft. The ratchet mechanism is also finer than craftsman although that's not saying much.

Awesome thanks for the responses guys. I was just hired by Lexus, so this thing is going to be used all day, everyday. I'm planning on investing in an air ratchet, but like all things pneumatic, I prefer IR.

I have nothing against Craftsman. For weekend warrior activites and trail repairs, they've been great to me. But I've had 3 of them fail, all the same way. A little bit of slop develops, and the teeth slowly grind down. So when you finally give it a nice 150ft/lb tug it freewheels and you're left with a gnarly scar a few weeks later.

I talked to the Porsche/Audi guys down the street and they love their Hazet stuff. Seems like one of those companies who's motto is "We're German, we guarentee our stuff is the best, we know it's expensive, get over it". Although their tools are actually made in Germany, whereas a lot of SnapOn stuff is coming from Taiwan.

Koken is Japanese, seems fitting for Lexus. But I haven't found too many reviews on their stuff yet. It looks like they have a decent market in the aerospace/explosives industry. I'll have to look into Proto and Matco a little more carefully. And NWscott, I'll definitely have to snag one of those composite ratchets just for grins :D

I have nothing against Craftsman. For weekend warrior activites and trail repairs, they've been great to me. But I've had 3 of them fail, all the same way. A little bit of slop develops, and the teeth slowly grind down. So when you finally give it a nice 150ft/lb tug it freewheels and you're left with a gnarly scar a few weeks later.

Well theres your problem right there, at the first sign of slop or skip i take them in. Ive bought them used and just went in right after i bought them and swapped them out. But if your using them all day get whatever feel smost comfertable in your hand and has a good warranty.

just the other day I had a 2ft pipe on my craftman rachet and it held up like always! I have proken a few 3/8 but yet to kill a 1/2"! I know snapon is better but I dont turn wrenches for a living so I cannot justify the price and hell If I have to take something back to sears its just an excuse to buy something else :)

and not only that I HATE having to track down a snap on driver to buy something!

Well theres your problem right there, at the first sign of slop or skip i take them in. Ive bought them used and just went in right after i bought them and swapped them out. But if your using them all day get whatever feel smost comfertable in your hand and has a good warranty.

Yea but it gets pretty annoying after you consistently break a couple. And knowing the replacement ones are refurbished doesn't help too much either :/ Overall Craftsman is great. But I think it's the constant punishment that takes it's tole. Stress them every once in a while, and it's fine. Stress it every twice in a while, and it's fine. Stress it everyday, and you're asking to be doomed.

Knowing that these tools are what pay the bills, I have no problem shelling out $200 for a ratchet if it's gonna last the next 20 years. The problem is finding the right ratchet lol... Keep the input coming!

I know I shouldn't judge mechanics by their iron, but it is hard to take serious a Lexus mechanic using craftsman tools.

I departed Buick in 1986 and quit work as a bus mechanic in 1999, those Snap-On ratchets are still in my box. After a stint in the military I'm back with buses and it is good to see the mechanics that work there have upgraded to Snap-On, Mac & Matco.

Another company I like is BETA, They are the factory tools for Ferrari, Fiat, formerly Lamborghini. The tools are very finely crafted, better than SnapOn IMHO, but very spendy. Their line seems to span multiple industries and is very complete.

They were operating a retail location in Knoxville, it closed and I spent a shit-ton of money at their auction, from my calculations right about $0.15/$1.00. IE: 8-36mm combo wrench set $40, retail~$400. It was a very good day..

920a_c15x_sf.jpg

c57_sf.jpg

On January 8th, 2004, Scuderia Ferrari and Beta Utensili announced that they had established a technical and commercial agreement. According to the terms of the agreement, Beta will supply the Formula 1 with the team's hand tool needs and, at the same time, the two organizations will co-develop new line of products bearing the famous Scuderia Ferrari insignia.
The new partnership revives a relationship with a long and glorious history that traces back to 1975. Just as they do today, Beta management viewed this partnership as both an acknowledgement of the quality of the tools and as a vehicle for the development of technologically superior products.

The collaboration was approached with the utmost devotion which was shown through the achievements of such outstanding drivers as Niki Lauda, Clay Regazzoni, Carlos Reutemann, Jody Scheckter, Gilles Villeneuve and Didier Pironi; all who thrilled the crowds and scored victories in the cars from Maranello.
Scuderia Ferrari wrapped up four Constructors' Titles (1975, 1976, 1977 and 1979), during the sponsorship, as well as three Drivers' Titles, specifically in 1975 and 1977 with Niki Lauda and in 1979 with Jody Scheckter. The partnership came to an end in the early 1980's.

Returning as Official Supplier to such a prominent team is a task that needs to be undertaken with enthusiasm, passion and steadfast reliability. The technicians at Ferrari are discriminating professionals who constantly aim for matchless performance and therefore require state of the art tools. Beta manufactures exceptional products which are the result of over eighty years of industrial commitment combined with thirty years of involvement in racing. The company's products are preferred by international motor sports organizations, such as Scuderia Ferrari, because they're perfectly suited for the high pressure demands placed on motor sports engineers.

Last edited:
just the other day I had a 2ft pipe on my craftman rachet and it held up like always! I have broken a few 3/8 but yet to kill a 1/2"! I know snapon is better but I dont turn wrenches for a living so I cannot justify the price and hell If I have to take something back to sears its just an excuse to buy something else :)

X2 on the Craftsman 1/2in. Use a 3 ft cheater on it all the time for hub nuts and it has never failed. However, don't try any cheater on the 3/8th, it will break.

WOW that beta stuff looks promising. Wanna sell some stuff? :) I'll have to snoop around ebay and see if there is anything still available.

And yea I agree to an extent with the judgement of a mechanic using craftsman. I know a couple guys that use their sockets without problem, but the wrenches and ratchets are just garbage for what I'm looking for. At least the Harbor Freight one LOOKS exactly like the SnapOn 80 haha.

Back