• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ frame and 3-link mounts

xjbubba

NAXJA Member # 1524
I'm in the process of "plagiarizing" various threads, in the hopes of fabbing a 3-link for my '88.
I'm stuck on what course to take for the upper control arm mount at the frame.
I'm planning a UCA of ~30 inches, using a 7/8 rod-end. S0 the mount will be ~ 7inches in front of the tranny cross member.
I'd like to integrate the UCA mount with the LCA similar to the RockKrawler arrangement, but want the UCA mount as close to the frame as I can get it. The issue is the lip along the inside bottom of the frame in the area just behind the OEM LCA mount. Can a section of this lip be removed without the frame falling apart?
I've tried mirrors, squinting, and poking about with various "tools", but can't determine if that lip is just part of a reinforcement "sleeve", around the frame, or if it IS the frame in that area.
Anyone no for certain what the actual construction is from where the cross-member mounts, to the LCA mount? Pictures would be great.
Look at page 11 of this document for the RK UCA mount: http://www.4wd.com/images/catalog/products/large/RKS/PDF/RKXJ65XFLA.pdf

Last edited:
I'm in the planning phrase just like you. I'm looking at more of a mid-arm length. I wanna use this for the upper:
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/adjustable-bracket-degree-p-423.html

I too thought about cutting that lip. I've already got the HDO stiffeners on but they only cover the bottom and outside of the rail. I would want to weld that bracket to a piece of HD angle and weld it on to inside/bottom of the rail...after cutting that lip. Make sense?

Those Ruffstuff brackets, Deftwillp referenced look interesting, but I'm into fabbing my own to specifically fit my space.

I've read both Bendiese and 98XJJeeper's threads; definitely good ideas.
98XJ says if he did it over, he woud cut the lip and plate the frame. That's what I want to do, but I'd like to know what havoc cutting the lip can/will cause.
I have the Ruffstuff stiffeners on order, and intend on building off of those, basically by continuing their stiffener around to the inside of the frame between the cross-member and the OEM mount location.

Not sure, but I'm seriously considering taking the "plunge" myself, and dealing with whatever I find. I was just hoping someone has already trimmed that lip, and could give a definitive description of what they found.

I havent checked but does the lip have pinch welds in it? I think cutting and folding would be the best option if even possible. If I still have my RK 3 link when I get my ruff stuff stiffeners welded on I will cut and fold the lip where the mounts are to get everything to fit fine.

Yea, that lip has spot welds.
It appears the RK kit does not require the lip to be modified. Their bracket extends past the lip, and uses spacers to make up for that. I want my bracket to fit flush against the frame on the inner side.
Looking at my frame further, it appears there is a "u" channel inside the frame, angling upward from the cross member area, to the fire-wall area. It too, is spot welded to the frame. So it's possible the lip, or pinch weld is backed up by the channel piece, at least near the cross member area. And that's the area I'm concerned with.

If you cut the lip then it will need to be welded up which isn't a big deal. It would just be like a butt weld. I think if you fold it up A- it will be a B*tch. B- it wont be flush with the inside rail.

Back