• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radio specs

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
so I'm looking to upgrade my stereo but I have no idea what size? people keep talking about 1 or 1.5 din size...what are the dimensions I would need for it to fit in a 96 sport? most sites don't have a "match my vehicle" section

TIA

doug

Single DIN with mounting brackets will yield the widest options for head units. Crutchfield.com has a large selection as well as adapters for the wiring and mounting kits to mount it in the dash.

XJs up to 96 had single din radios. 97+ have 1.5 din rados.

I've done radios in our four XJs, and get the best results using the original (Clarion?) radio's DIN mounting bracket. After removing the dash bezel, remove the two screws-one on either side of the radio's faceplate-and slide it straight out. The bracket can then be removed from the original radio, and with little or no modification be installed on your new aftermarket head unit. I like to use the original bracket because of the hook on the top, as it fits into a slot above the radio, offering better support.
I also like to use an adapter for the wiring harness, as it not only makes wiring easier, but also allows options such as dimming with headlights, or a power antenna, to operate properly.

single din is the typical size of a deck 1.5 din was a GM/newer chrysler deal.

Back