• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd Indicator Light

justmeav

NAXJA Forum User
Hello guys I'm a little stumped here. I know the light is not necessary but I kinda like to get most things working on my heep. That and these forums are so helpful thank you to all in advance !! I have learned so much from you guys that I recently purchased my second XJ. Ok , here is the long and short of it.
I tested the bulb, did the wire test on the connector... The bulb works.
I replaced the switch, engage 4hi or 4 low the light does not come on. I then pulled the switch and tested it. I depress the little ball the light comes on. I then got to thinking and tested the old switch. The old switch is bad , I can not get the light to come on no matter what I do with the old switch.
My question is am I missing something ? Or is there something broken or worn out in the transfer case ?? Does the linkage have anything to do with it ? I'm stumped.

2000 Sport
4.0L
Np 231
Dana 30
Chrysler 8.25

So you DID replace the switch? And the new one went bad?

Slightly related; I find it annoying that I have to be in neutral when I switch the t-case in my '90 in order to get it to engage (light & t-case).

There are a few different connectors on the path from the switch to the bulb so start at one end and work through. The first connector is at the switch itself, then there's another block connector on the firewall next to the NSS connector. If those show continuity then check the socket for the lamp. Hopefully you find it before then cause the remaining wires are in the engine and body harnesses

There are a few different connectors on the path from the switch to the bulb so start at one end and work through. The first connector is at the switch itself, then there's another block connector on the firewall next to the NSS connector. If those show continuity then check the socket for the lamp. Hopefully you find it before then cause the remaining wires are in the engine and body harnesses

Agree. For peace of mind, re-install the switch in the transfer case, put an ohm meter between the contacts, shift into 4wd--continuity? If so, work from there, if not, maybe you need to adjust the shift linkage?

Back