• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Intake tube

XJ4Christ

NAXJA Forum User
forgot to change title for cooling questions as well sorry :).

First question is about the Rusty's intake tube/air filter

Anyone happen to know what size the thing is diameter wise so i know if i can find a cheaper filter at Autozone than the K&N one they want to sell?

Also as this is my first time messing with a renix cooling system (1990 4.0) and sort of learning how to become a mechanic at same time lol.. the hoses apparently are leaving a bunch of junk in my coolant. I opened the drain to drain the coolant as I want to replace the hoses and the thermostat (was overheating at idle randomly.) and drill holes in it as i have read on here :). i noticed the upper hose had a leak (dirt around bottom of it) and then noticed black junk in the coolant as well. When the radiator drained it drained out slowly... is that normal? I was hoping for alot more flow to drain that black junk out. I figure i can put some water in there and flush.. but not sure how that will be if not much flow.. i am guessing some of that black hose junk blocking the drain plug. I also noticed some radator fluid around the closed system bottle so i read it needs to be sealed and i guess i need to get a new cap too. I also believe that i need to remove the serpentine belt just to get to the bottom bolt of the therm stat. Is there a trick or i have to take it off? :). I tried to push it down with a screwdriver to get at it with a wrench and that did not seem to want to work.

I also had removed the AC system. Since then the aux fan not working. It works, however it will not come on now. I just want the thing to run all the time. I am not an electric guy and I just want to have a way to have it run all the time and be able to unplug it if needed. Anyone have a pic of how to do this so i can copy it? That is the only way i know how to do electrical as i do not understand a lot of the technical stuff as of yet and i just want to get this thing going ASAP as my other vehicle will be going down soon and i do not want to be left with one vehicle. :).

I have a similar problem on my 90 xj. I am going to run the fan direct to a relay/switch so I can turn it on when I want to. I can show you what I do once I do it.

I have a similar problem on my 90 xj. I am going to run the fan direct to a relay/switch so I can turn it on when I want to. I can show you what I do once I do it.

Thats cool the relay is what confuses me. By that i am not sure what wire to put in it what way or if it matters. The ground is easy of course.

You can loosen the serpentine belt without removing it, the power steering pump is the tensioner for the belt.

I might recommend finding someone local to "mentor" you through your first few projects.

You can loosen the serpentine belt without removing it, the power steering pump is the tensioner for the belt.

I might recommend finding someone local to "mentor" you through your first few projects.

Agree with the belt and the mentoring.

I will measure my Rusty's tube and post up later.

I NEVER mess with plastic petcocks--they like to break and leave you screwed without the common courtesy of dinner and flowers. Just pull the lower radiator hose off.

Stant number 10244 pressure bottle cap for the 2.3L Volvo will replace your stock cap. It has a lower profile so it won't impact the hood when the bottle expands, it seals better than the OEM or XJ aftermarket caps, and it has a higher pressure rating so it raises the boiling point of the coolant.

Stant SuperStat Premium 195 degree thermostat is highly recommended. It has a new design that stabilizes engine temperature.

Consider replacing the thermostat housing bolts with stainless--they like to corrode and break.

Make sure you "BURP" your system, getting all of the air out.

If you had a/c you already have a relay in your XJ, just run a toggle switch from the dash to provide the ground for it.

Thanks guys :). Yeah i had some co-workers i worked with that I had hoped would have wanted to hook up and do wrenching, and such together.. but they don't really want to hang (even after i had hooked one up with a cool XJ). So I get what info i can on the internet and just do it myself as best i can. So I appreciate your info as you all are the closest to mentors i got at the moment :).

if u have a good all copper radiator that usually came in that year cherokee let it drain out then block the lower hose off and fill with white vinegar/water at about 70-30 mix and let sit over night then back flush with a hosethen go back and forth a few times.i did that to mine and it cleaned right out.

Back