• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Passenger side marker lights

Gold Cobra

NAXJA Forum User
I can't seem to get my passenger side marker lights to work. Bulbs are new, fuse is good. All other lights work fine. Any Ideas?

94 XJ 4.0 AW4 231 - Stock with no power options.

You need 3 things for a light to work. Intact bulb, power, ground. Which one is missing? Also keep in mind if there is corrosion in a wire, you can read correct voltage with a meter but the resistance in the wire will consume all the voltage when the bulb's in place.

Remove the light so the pigtail and bulb are hanging free. Take a long chunk of wire, hook it to battery ground. Put a paper clip on the other end and poke it into the ground side of the socket with the light switch turned on. Of course if you poke it into the power side, bye bye fuse. See if this gets the light to turn on. If not, do the same thing on the positive side of the battery. I recommend putting a fuse in your 'test' wire at this point, because if you bump it to anything grounded the wire will go up in smoke.

All you're really doing is one at a time, providing what the circuit needs to operate, when you get the light to come on you know if the issue is power or ground.

It's usually ground, by the way.

OK, so the rear was just related to some sketchy trailer wiring from the PO. Ground on the front is good, but no power. What should I be looking for?

Check the power wire just upstream of the socket for voltage. Sometimes the sockets break the internal leads. If there's no power in the wire work your way up to the fuse box looking for a break in the wire.

Replaced a headlight switch recently?

You can try placing the switch "in between" the stops and see if they come on.

headlight switch would affect all the parking lights not just the passenger side

Good catch, I missed that in the original post.

Did you figure out the problem? My wifes xj has the exact same problems. Direction on where you found the problem would be great!!

So, what is missing on yours--no ground or no power? All of the bulbs out?

Ok. Just check the sockets for power and ground, see what you find and post back.

Good luck.

Try sending him a PM, might get a response that way.

Back