• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

recall

It's not a very reliable system. In fact Chrysler was forced to warranty the system for the life of the vehicle due to problems with the system failing and leaving the driver with zero brakes. I'd start by calling the Chrysler dealer and asking them.

Do some searching on NAXJA and you will find numerous writeups for converting this to a non-abs setup (ideally using a 1996+ booster for even better braking). You'll also find lots of people advocating this switch instead of trying to get the dealer to honor the warranty.

i already have the parts that we are going to use for his brake swap down the road. but right now he has some slightly more important issues that need to be fixed. so we were hoping that we could get the brakes fixed for free right now.

we'll probably tackle the manual brake conversion in the spring.

rebelrat said:
does any body know how the 89-91 xj abs recall works.
my abs pump is failing and am losing breaks

tj

I recently had my 89 Wagoneer LTD in on that recall.
They said that it already had been in once before (I doubt it though) but they did the job anyway. Unfortunatly, they said that there was something else wrong along with the recalled part that along with a brake bleed would cost me $300 (note, the part is free, the labor isn't)
So, be prepared to walk out of your dealer minus some cash regardless!
Mine even made a comment that the Jeep was rather old to be getting this recall service...go figure!
Ed

Blaine B. said:
Zero brakes? That sucks man, thats a serious need for free warranty work.....IE, death is possible :eek:

Yep. And some folks would simply call it a good reason not to drive a 16-year-old vehicle that's never had any major brake components replaced....

I think that if I'd bought a late 80's vehicle... the first thing I'd do is a complete overhaul on the brake system. Just because.

Den

and that's exactly why it's not being driven. it's currently in my garage getting a major overhaul. we were just looking into the recall to see if you could get some "freebie" repair work. but since it doesn't look like that's going to happen, i'll just have to put that 01 manual brake system i got in the garage in it.

Back