• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TRE strength - service vs. professional grade

seanyb505

NAXJA Forum User
I'm redoing my steering and based on rockauto there are service grade and "professional" grade tie rod ends. Obviously the professional are more beefy, and therefore more money. I do zero wheeling with this one, and am doing this to eliminate slop so Im looking for stock or a little better tightness more than, "I need this to not break on the trail." How much overall quality would I be giving up by just going with the service grade tie rod ends? Price difference is 15ish per compared to 35 per. Its for a 97 2wd.

Stock tire, stock suspension, no wheeling, 1 on a scale of 10 to replace--go service grade.

though i don't off road, on all my family's vehicles and my own, i most always go service grade, and have yet to had that moment where i said 'ahhh i should have gotten the better professional grade'. I'm sure the service grade will work out just fine.

Rather than just make a new thread on a similar topic, Ive been thinking about the WJ brakes and steering. What are the actual benefits of going with the WJ steering as opposed to just repairing the inverted y? I know with attention my stock setup will be tighter, would I benefit anything by going the WJ route? Or are those benefits only noticable once you get into the lift and tires category? I dont want to be like those people who throw a 900 cfm carb on a small block that doesnt need it.

What are the actual benefits?

Rather than just make a new thread on a similar topic, Ive been thinking about the WJ brakes and steering. What are the actual benefits of going with the WJ steering as opposed to just repairing the inverted y? I know with attention my stock setup will be tighter, would I benefit anything by going the WJ route? Or are those benefits only noticable once you get into the lift and tires category? I dont want to be like those people who throw a 900 cfm carb on a small block that doesnt need it.

Strength--if you wheel odds are you will smack the steering into something.

Search, using the Google workaround, and there are plenty of threads discussing the WJ upgrade.

Good luck.

I would get the professional grade if I was you. They will be better quality and will last longer making them a better investment in the long run. I personally only use Moog parts on my steering but that's just me.

1. dual piston calipers
2. larger rotors
3. true crossover steering

Braking is dramaticly improved over stock!! Steering response is improved going to a true crossover!

i usually gety the better(professional grade) parts. i gfigure if im saving money by doing the install myself, why not spend extra on the parts.

as for the steering, look into doing the zj tierod and TRE's upgrade. i use this on my 89 with 4.5" lift and it works well for my needs.

the wj upgrade would give you better braking, but is it needed on a stock xj considering the expense and the amount of work needed?

Back