• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UOA report shows ABNORMAL (Need help finding diagnses)

What action do I need to take? Any thoughts?

Fluid Analysis Report:

Unit ID: 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Second ID: Inline 6
Unit Type: Unleaded Gasoline Engine
Application: Transportation
Unit Mileage: 171,673
Lubricant Mileage: 2,113
Lubricant: Amsoil XLT SAE Synthetic 10W30

OVERALL SEVERITY OF REPORT: (High end of ABNORMAL)

SUGGEST performing cooling system pressure check. Lubricant and filter change is suggested if not done at sampling time. Coolant indicators (Sodium, Potassium) are at a significant level. Flagged additive levels are different than what should be present for the lubricant that is identified for this unit. Please provide unit model number so we may compare data to the proper standards for this unit; Replace oil filter and top off system with fresh make-up oil if not done when oil sample was taken. Re-sample in 3,500 miles or 65 hours. Resample in 30 days.

Areas that are flagged:

CONTAMINANT METALS:
Sodium: 41 PPM (High end of NORMAL)
Potassium: 197 PPM (High end of ABNORMAL)

MULTI-SOURCE METALS:
Molybdenum: 8 PPM (Low end of ABNORMAL)
Manganese: 27 PPM (High end of NORMAL)
Boron: 41 PPM (Low end of ABNORMAL)

ADDITIVE METALS:
Magnesium: 584 PPM (Low end of ABNORMAL)
Zinc: 1063 PPM (Low end of ABNORMAL)

cracked head/bad headgasket is sending coolant into your oil, this is thinning out the oil and eating your bearings.

cracked head/bad headgasket is sending coolant into your oil, this is thinning out the oil and eating your bearings.

That's what I was wondering........... Looks like I'll be giving Alabama Cylinder Head a call for a new HEAD with coil pack mounts. $495 bones

Sure sounds like the 3/4 crack on the 0331 head.

Sure sounds like the 3/4 crack on the 0331 head.

What if I have a bad head gasket? I just bought this Jeep 2,500 miles ago and paid $2,200, so I figured the guy was selling it for a reason.

Remove the valve cover, inspect the head between cylinders 3/4.

Even IF it is just a head gasket, you will need to have the head checked/surfaced when it is pulled anyway.

You can run a compression test. You can run a leakdown test. You can test for combustion gases in the coolant. You can do all or some of those things, and the odds are that the much more SOPHISTICATED oil test that you had done is right.

Life ain't fair, so the fact you just bought it doesn't fit into the mixture.

Remove the valve cover, inspect the head between cylinders 3/4.

Even IF it is just a head gasket, you will need to have the head checked/surfaced when it is pulled anyway.

You can run a compression test. You can run a leakdown test. You can test for combustion gases in the coolant. You can do all or some of those things, and the odds are that the much more SOPHISTICATED oil test that you had done is right.

Life ain't fair, so the fact you just bought it doesn't fit into the mixture.

Honestly, I bought the Jeep because the body was perfect. Rust isn’t an issue here in Montana, so the vehicle is very clean. I thought $2,200 dollars was a fair price, even with the high mileage engine and transmission. Let me ask you this, since I will not be doing the work and will need a shop to do the work, should I consider buying a new engine?

You have 171K on an engine that with proper maintenance will likely go over 300K.

I would do the head and run the legs off of it.

You have 171K on an engine that with proper maintenance will likely go over 300K.

I would do the head and run the legs off of it.

My wife would like to take your recommendation. :)

joe_peters, how much is labor going to cost if I were to take it to the Jeep dealership? I'll provide the Alabama head.

With Joe on this one.

The oil sample should have flagged bearing metals too, if bad, so sounds like your oil sample is just in the nick of time and money well spent.

Good Luck,
Orange

joe_peters, how much is labor going to cost if I were to take it to the Jeep dealership? I'll provide the Alabama head.

Well, I would stop in, tell them what you want done, and see what their labor rate is and how much time they want to do it.

FYI, the dealership is likely to be the most expensive shop in town.

Check out your regional forum and request info on the most competent shop with reasonable prices in your area.

Well, I would stop in, tell them what you want done, and see what their labor rate is and how much time they want to do it.

FYI, the dealership is likely to be the most expensive shop in town.

Check out your regional forum and request info on the most competent shop with reasonable prices in your area.

Unfortunately, I live on a Reservation in Montana. I can check Sheridan, WY or Billings, MT.

Well, according to the hydrocarbon test, there were no signs of a bad head gasket or cracked head. The Radiator Shop said if it were leaking, it would show up. In one way, I’m happy. In another way, I’m still wondering why my UOA is flagged. I guess I will resample at 2,000 miles and see what she shows.

Well, according to the hydrocarbon test, there were no signs of a bad head gasket or cracked head. The Radiator Shop said if it were leaking, it would show up. In one way, I’m happy. In another way, I’m still wondering why my UOA is flagged. I guess I will resample at 2,000 miles and see what she shows.

Sounds like a plan, watch those numbers for any increases.

A mechanic friend of mine said it’s possible that the leak is stopping after the engine heats up due to expansion or it is leaking when the engine is off due to lack of pressure. So there still could be a leak in the head, block, or gasket. The next step is to pressure test the cooling system overnight. I’ll pull another sample at 2,000 miles and see what I find out.

check out Clearwater Cylinder Head out of Florida if you can't get a head from Alabama. I used CCH primarily because I couldn't get one from Alabama and the CCH head came with a better warranty.

check out Clearwater Cylinder Head out of Florida if you can't get a head from Alabama. I used CCH primarily because I couldn't get one from Alabama and the CCH head came with a better warranty.

Thanks Emerscape.........

So far the motor is running fine. We moved from Montana back to New Mexico and logged over 1,000 miles in two days. The Jeep hasn't burned any oil. I'll pull another sample at the next 3,000 mile interval.

Back