• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 shifting in neutral after stopping

sjx40250

NAXJA Forum User
Like the title indicates, when cold and stopping at a stop sign the tranny shifts into neutral. When I apply slight throttle, the rpm increase with no movement. Then I feel a serge as it locks into gear and I can go. I have expereience this a couple of times when I don't remember if it was cold or not.
Fluid level is good.
I understand that some years, and I think 90 is one of them, the tranny shifted into neutral durring decelleration. So this might be an electrical issue. My other thought was that it might be a sticky valve and should change fluid.
The rig has 115K miles on it and it has been quite a while since tranny fluid change. It is a DD so it is driven like a car.
Idea's? Known root cause?

The symptom you describe sounds like low fluid pressure. Go ahead and change the fluid and filter screen and see if it help. Also, check the TV cable on the throttle body and make sure it is adjusted correctly.

I am sure the TV cable is good. Check it frequently. I do the other as well.
I happen to have a number of leaks at the QD's at the front. Don't seam to be able to avoid that. (have the HD from the factory due to towing package).

It's possible that if the tranny doesn't have a good ground that the #1 solenoid is not working all the time. That would cause the tranny to be in 4th gear at a stop, which might seem like neutral as pushing the gas would do much.

Thanks for the replies. I am impressed that the cable needed adjustment. I did it twice, more carefully the second time. Big difference. What happens if the cable is disconnected? What does it actually do? It can't be just a kick down cable to impact partial throttle shifting?!

The throttle cable influences the internal hydraulic pressure within the tranny. This controls the firmness of the shift by applying more pressure when more throttle is applied. If the cable is disconnected or way too loose you will get slow shifting and as you noted it might not even shift properly.

Back