• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gen Right rocker guards

If you can weld then it would be cheaper to build your own

Really??

Do you have a tube bender and a dimple die set? Plus there's $100 of steel in those things.

This is a brand new product for GenRight, they've never had any XJ products. I didn't know they had finished designing anything. I like them, might call Tony tomorrow and buy a set.

richard, did you have a hand in genright starting to make xj stuff, i went over there a few times and talked to them about it but it never happened....(i live in simi)

jesse

I was just looking at those online the other day... I would really like to see more pictures. They seem like a great product, but there aren't enough pics on the web site.

If you can weld then it would be cheaper to build your own

Dude, I built my own set and I see why they cost what they do. I spent 100.00 on materials and lots of my time designing and getting them just right. Now that they are done I'm glad I can say I built them. Really they are kind of a pain to build.

while i normally hate when people instantly quip about it being easier to make your own.... these are a 'kit', and not just a normal bolt on slider...
if you're gonna have to weld it on, you might as well!

i really liked the design here, but they should be available in bolt on versions. it's hard to justify cutting out a rocker that isnt trashed, and not everyone has trashed rockers....

but if fab isnt an option, how you gonna get these installed?!? i was liking them till i saw that theyre a rocker REPLACEMENT slider...

Actually, that is my XJ on the web site. When I put them on my Jeep, I had priced steel, and talked to Tony about it. He was able to sell this kit for less than I could get the steel for, and that's not to mention that I don't have a bender or a dimple die set. IIRC, the rectangular tubing alone was going to cost me 100 bucks.

Mine was the first in existence, so there might be differences now, a year and a half later.

The tube is 2x4 x 3/16 wall rectangle, and (as I understood it) comes uncut. You can cut it yourself, depending on how your fenders are cut up. The .120 wall step is bent so that even if you have your wheel wells cut out, it will clear. There are 4 outriggers per side that go back to your frame. The ones on mine are .188 wall or something ridiculous... not needed, and harder to work with. There were two end caps per side to cap off the rectangular tube, and a plate that you can weld to the top of it so you can relocate your speed clips and torx bolts that retain the bottom edge of the fender.

I added a second dimple-died step to mine, as I have a 4-door and thought it looked more symmetrical. I'm sure you can order extra steps as well, at the time they were in-stock items. Actually the whole kit kind of came to be because Gen Right already stocked most of the needed pieces.

The outriggers are tied back into TnT Customs frame stiffeners.

overland, did you have to cut your doors at all? I'd love to do this rocker mod, but want to make them so the doors can remain untouched.

Post up a few more pics if you can.

What do you want to see? With the bondo at the door opening, most of the informative pics are posted already... what are you curious about?

Thats freekin sweet do u work for JP Magazine? I first seen them here

http://www.jpmagazine.com/projectbuild/154_0810_building_a_fuel_efficient_jeep_part_2/index.html

before i found them at gen right. very nice rig dude.

LOL, yep that's my Jeep. And that is Tony from Gen Right in that picture welding on it.

Really??

Do you have a tube bender and a dimple die set? Plus there's $100 of steel in those things.

This is a brand new product for GenRight, they've never had any XJ products. I didn't know they had finished designing anything. I like them, might call Tony tomorrow and buy a set.

Too bad they discontinued the XJ gas tanks................. :(

bummer, they discontinued the tanks?

No door cutting. I cut the radius of the rocker right under the door and welded to that. Then bondo-d over the weld. By welding in that radius, there was minimal weld grinding needed.

bummer, they discontinued the tanks?

No door cutting. I cut the radius of the rocker right under the door and welded to that. Then bondo-d over the weld. By welding in that radius, there was minimal weld grinding needed.

I picked up some of these from Tony@genright and am looking for a little direction for the install. By "cutting off the radius of the the rocker" did you cut into the rocker where the bottom of the door? Does the box tube sit at an angle?
Thanks

Looks to me like the rocker actually fits in up and down (4" face showing), and not the same as the picture... Looks like it would fit better that way as opposed to laying flat where the rocker was...

Back