• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlamp upgrade: Sealed Beam -> H4

maalox

NAXJA Forum User
I know that lighting upgrades are a very popular modification for most of us, but I wanted to share my upgrade and the results. I will preface this by saying that I am relatively new to domestic vehicles, but not to vehicle modifications. I have always upgraded the lighting on my vehicles to ECE standards, as the lighting regulations and equipment in Europe are FAR superior to the sub-par trash we get here. Thank you FMVSS 108. (n) So, when I bought my XJ, I looked into the available options for upgrading the stock headlamps(because we all know they suck). The offerings from Delta and Rampage looked too much like the cheesy aftermarket lights found on modified Hondas, and the IPF lights did not offer the built-in city light feature. So I held out until I found drop-in 200mm units from Hella. They've got the correct fluted glass lens with the proper ECE markings, take a replaceable H4 bulb, and are set up for city lights. The fit directly into the buckets already on our trucks, and they look like this:

h4lamp.JPG

Here you can see the difference in the lenses and housings(sealed beam on the left, Hella H4 on the right):

h4vssealed01.JPG

h4vssealed02.JPG

Now, I had already upgraded the headlamp wiring, which is necessary to go with the more powerful 80/100w bulbs I am using in the H4s. You can run standard 55/60w bulbs in the H4 housings without doing a wiring upgrade, but I highly recommend going the extra step so you can use the higher wattage bulbs. Here is a comparison on the sealed beam lamps vs the H4 lamps on low beam:

Sealed Beam -
sealedlowbeam.JPG

H4 -
h4lowbeam.JPG

Notice the sharp cut-off of the H4 light pattern, and how full the fill area is from that cutoff down. I took the pictures before I aimed the lights, so this is a straight-up head-to-head comparison. The H4s are even better once they are aimed properly, and it may take a bit of toying with to get them right.

Here is a comparison of the high beams. You will notice how much higher the light is actually rising from the lamps. This translates to better long-range illumination in the practical application.

Sealed beam -
sealedhighbeam.JPG

H4 -
h4highbeam.JPG

All said and done, the cost of this upgrade was around $200(lamps, bulbs, and wiring harness), and the install took roughly 30 minutes. I've still got some adjusting to do, as I'm not sure I have the lights aimed just the way I want them, but I am very pleased with the results. Now I can see at night! :yelclap:

I have installed the Hella H4 lens as well. I put a 55w HID kit in so I didn't have to change any factory wiring and its much brighter and not as yellow as regular bulbs. total cost was right around 100 with hella lens and HID kits. 55w HI/LOW HID kit in 4500K

If you want some serious lighting check this out
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBiXenonProjectors.htm

slappomatt FYI...it's very dangerous to run an hid kit without a heavy duty harness.
You run a great risk of overloading the stock wiring and having an electrical fire.
Not to mention, with a harness your lights will get full voltage from the battery and be significantly brighter

Even with factory harness, the H4's are millions times better than the stockers.
I am running the IPF H4 housings, and for now some cheapo delta xenon bulbs. A friend of mine is supposed to be making me a headlight harness since he has extra wire/connectors from when he did his.
Parts-wise for the lighting I only have about 100$ in it that was for the (2) IPF H4 housings + pair of xenon bulbs including shipping. I figure I'll have another 15-30$ into it for the relays.

Looks nice, but that's a lot of coin compared to the Autopals @ $40 for a set.

You also need to take into consideration, you usually get what you pay for. Autopal's aren't guaranteed to fit correctly, the glass is very thin and they do not have a lifetime warranty. And you still have to buy a set of bulbs, granted you can get cheaper bulbs but still. As far as the autopals go quality/durability Is up in the air. Some do not have issues and a lot do.

You also need to take into consideration, you usually get what you pay for. Autopal's aren't guaranteed to fit correctly, the glass is very thin and they do not have a lifetime warranty. And you still have to buy a set of bulbs, granted you can get cheaper bulbs but still. As far as the autopals go quality/durability Is up in the air. Some do not have issues and a lot do.

well said, you guys can have your $40/pair lights! i run ipf's.

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
I tried a set of Autopals. The pattern was not very tight and the glass was thin and did not fit well in the housings. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ended up breaking both of them in Death Valley last winter. They are too thin to withstand the impact of gravel thrown up on washboard roads.
Replaced them with a set of IPFs and 80/100-watt bulbs and all is good.

I made a heavy-duty harness for it several years ago and this and should be the first thing anyone does to improved their headlights. Stock, there was a voltage drop of over 1.5 volts, at the headlights. Thin, stock wires are the cause.
Big wires and relays make a big difference.[/FONT]

I had a set of autopal's and they both cracked within the first month or so. I went with IPF after that

What H4 bulbs are you running? I want some 100/80's as well, but I don't want the white HID look

I had a set of autopal's and they both cracked within the first month or so. I went with IPF after that

What H4 bulbs are you running? I want some 100/80's as well, but I don't want the white HID look
Quality bulbs made by Hella or Narva will have the yellow Halogen color. The higher wattage bulbs won't last as long but IMO the extra light is worth it.
You can also buy the best H4 Headlamps (Cibie) along with bulbs here
http://danielsternlighting.com/

Last edited:
I just ordered 4. surprisingly cheap...

I too was surprised how inexpensive they are. Carrying spares is a good idea especially if you have done the headlight harness upgrade. The higher voltage at the lamp produces more light but somewhat shortens the lamp life. I think it's a very fair trade off.
I used to work graveyard and, before changing to the IPFs, was getting about one year of driving time on a set Silverstars bulbs. Silverstars are known for their short lifetime (the filament runs extra hot to produce the white light but in return has a short life).
They would almost always burn out within days of each other so I always kept a spare headlight in the parts box.
It is a lot easier to carry a spare H4 bulb.

Back