• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front shock bushings

mudrat

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 93 with 6.5" lift and from day one has ripped up every pair of upper shock bushings. i've tried the normal of tightening down till they balloon out tell a little smaller than the washer .to being a little loose to a little bit tighter.it's like the washer is eating right throug the bushing or the other way around in some cases where the bushing is actually getting pulled down through the hole towards the wheel well.this is onlty happening with the upper bushing the one inside the engine compartment,not the one inside the wheel well.any links on some heavy duty bushings?

get some poly bushings and maybe some limit straps or longer shocks.

the shocks have more than enough flex since i'm running 35's and they are poly bushings .is there suppose to be a washer on both sides of the bushing?

I use to have the same problem, honestly cant remember how i fixed it. Ah, i think I used my old sway bar link bushings.

I had the same problem with my Rusty's shocks, as they had terrible bushings with them. I tried all sorts of rubber replacements and they always shredded. When I went to more lift, I now have Skyjacker Hydro shocks. The bushings they came with are all a poly material, and have held up great. I think there is supposed to be a washer on both sides. If I remember right, the washers have kind of a dish to them, which seem to hold the bushing better. I will look at my set up on Monday and report back.

I had the same problem with my upper shock bushings. I finally used rear shocks (eye-eye) on the front, using brackets that had a stud bolted into the old hole at the top, with "ears" to fit the upper eye of the new shock; works great.

I've been shreeding shock bushings too. Today I bought a package of 8 poly sway bar bushings for 12.99 from Autozone. They are a little bit smaller, but they're much more substantial than the cheap rubber ones I've been killing. Hopefully they last longer.

Back