• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sye swap??

nismo5

NAXJA Forum User
before i did enough research i decided to buy a 231 tc with a sye already installed from a buddy come to find out after lookin at it its a 23 spline out of a 97 cherokee and i have a 89 with a aw4 and 21 spline 231
brickwall.gif

i was just wondering if i can swap the sye over to my 21 spline 231 without any problems ?? or if there was anything i need to replace while doing it other than any obviously worn parts like c clips ,snap rings anything of the sort
iono.gif
ive never installed one before and i have heard you can just change the input shaft to 21 spline but its more work than swapping the sye i have searched and never found anything about swaping one from one case to another

thanks fellas

Swapping the output shaft is easy(just need some good "lock-ring" pliers.Swapping the input shaft isnt that bad but I would check with Novak on which gear would fit the 97 case.

Just take the whole back half off of the t-case with the sye and install it in the other one. You can swap the shafts and chain and all in one shot. It should be able to be done in about 1-2 hours.

Just take the whole back half off of the t-case with the sye and install it in the other one. You can swap the shafts and chain and all in one shot. It should be able to be done in about 1-2 hours.

awesome so the back half of the case is the same between the 23 spline and the 21 spline ?and i should be able to just swap it right over thats perfect :rof:is there anything else i have to swap over when i do that ?or will it all be pretty obvious once i get in there

thanks

gaskets and seals maybe a snapring set...

ok so tranny to t-case gasket and gasket where i split the case in two right??the one i have from the 97 looks like they just used rtv to seal between the two halves of the case is that a better way to go than a gasket ??

will i have to mess with any snaprings if i swap the whole back half??if so you guys know where i can just get the snaprings i need without buying a whole kit ?? if i do need them

thanks

Back