• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help indexing/aliging/timing distributor

4Doors

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a new distributor and have it running but am having a hard time getting the timing right. I searched here and other forums as well as Google and found Dino's site that helped me get it running at least, but I'm definitely not firing on all 6. This site mentions alignment holes in the distributor into which you can insert a pin to get it indexed, which sounds easy enough, except that I can't find the holes he refers too. I found that method mentioned in a couple threads on other forums as well, and apparently it describes and illustrates this in the Factory Service Manual. I don't have one (I know, I know... I'm ordering one..) so I wanted to see if anyone could offer any help. Can you describe where these holes are at? Should I just pull it and move it one tooth at a time until I get it? That's harder than it sounds, being that you have to completely pull the distributor to turn the slot in the oil pump, so you have 2 different things to have to line up. Thanks for any help you may have to offer.

Year? Engine? The basics?

Back