• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fliping a dana 300

chedisme

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I have some questions about this.

If I use cable shifters whats to stop me from just flipping it upside down?

will It leak?

Im planing on doing the box4rocks doubler setup with a dana 300. so the included adapter ring will take care of the mounting.

Ive done alot of searching and I keep coming up with threads with people doing major modifications to the 300. but none of them say why.

thanks ahead of time.

it might leak, some do some don't. if it does, it will leak where the shifters go in and out. some people try to double up the seal there with different degrees of success. also, there's not a lot of room to get by the front driveshaft with the cables.

what are the "major" modifications you speak of?

for what it's worth, i'm doing the same setup and i'm making all of my own parts. it's a slow process, but it will be worth it in the end, i think.

some guy on pirate moved the shifters from the original top to the new top. he made some box that holds them and moved the forks to the other side.
I think the thread was called the 20$ dana 300 flip.

and It does leak. I left it upside down (in a tray thank god) and most of the oil leaked out.

well, if you were to run it, i'd replace all the seals first.

that thread is super popular. have you ever worked on transmission or transfer case inner components before? start reading and taking your stuff apart to see how it all works. it will become clear how/why he did what he did. i'm going to be doing something similar, but i might make my plate out of aluminum. i'm lucky enough to have a friend with a bridgeport.

i searched and read about the box 4 rocks for probably 2-3 hours a day for a month before i bought anything or started working on anything.

yea Ive sepent a decent amount of time reading about the Box4rocks. but I was originaly planing on doing 2 231s. then I came across a deal on a 300, plus a little pursuation from local club members and I bought the 300.

I have opened it up and I can see why he did what he did. but I dont have alot of metal fab skills.

Im going to finish cleaning up the case on the 300, then I guess Ill start taking it apart and see what I can do a bout the shifters.

I remember seeing on exteme4x4 there is a company that makes a replacement casing for the 300 that swaps it to driver side drop and keeps everything right side up. Any one else see that. I'm going to see if I can find the name of the company.

yea thats it. i think it was aluminum. and Im sure it wasn't cheap. Im also in the process of getting ready to replace my engine. so Im kinda strapped for cash.

I ran mine upside down, behind a box4rocks, for a year with 2 brand new seals per shift rail and no leaks.

I used duffys cheap and easy flip kit with mine which is pretty much two shifters with bends in them to clear the yoke. Only bad thing about doing it this way is you have a pretty long shifter throw.

I was planing on going with the North West fab cable shift kit. its kinda pricy. idk I might just look at it long and hard and see If I can duplicate there set up. I do have a few atv break cables laying around. idk well see.

oh and the stak case is 600$!

I don't think atv brake cables are enough. Might want to look at Summits cable shifter cables.

after further research im gona go with the stak case. it looks strong and is only 125 more then that conversion kit.
d300-1.jpg

vs
FLIPPAGE0.jpg

yea but im not buying the kit either so that makes it 500$ more then I plan on spending.

after further research im gona go with the stak case. it looks strong and is only 125 more then that conversion kit.

on further inspection I found it leaked out the breather tube. so If I relocate that, I should be ok.

koo let me know how it works out

Back