• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bronco II Spare Tire Carrier?

not sure how well the ends that attach to the body will line up, but if you use those mounts, you will need backing plates so it doesnt rip away from the sheet metal. did you get the backing plates from the bronco, if it even uses them.

Wow, I had a full-size Bronco with the interior spare. I wanted the OEM external. Buddy/client owned a body shop--we worked out a deal! I sourced the tire carrier, and then he gave me a diagram of all the extra crap I had to CHISEL out of the rear quarter panel and tailgate of the donor. Many skinned and bloody knuckles, and gallons of sweat later, I had all of the bits and pieces. Then it was his turn for skinned and bloody knuckles and burns putting that stuff into mine. Turned out great!

absolutely! forget backing plates! just throw some self tappers in that bitch and your good to go!

throw that shit away, if you want a stock carrier, get a stock carrier off an xj. theyre just as mass produced.
why spend fab time making something booty work? why not fab your own? your gonna have to do that much work anyway, might as well start from scratch so it doesnt look/function like crap. have you even held it up to a cherokee yet?

:banghead: some of those responses on cherokee forum are retarded.
yea... everytime i see a link over there, i get reading through about 3 posts and remember why i never joined.

absolutely! forget backing plates! just throw some self tappers in that bitch and your good to go!

throw that shit away, if you want a stock carrier, get a stock carrier off an xj. theyre just as mass produced.
why spend fab time making something booty work? why not fab your own? your gonna have to do that much work anyway, might as well start from scratch so it doesnt look/function like crap. have you even held it up to a cherokee yet?
your kidding on the backing plates right?

its deffinantly not bolt on, but with enough time, patience, and persistance it can be done. will it look good? that depends on your skills. but ive had a hell of a time finding a factory carrier. they were deffinantly not "mass produced." at least i havent found a single one at a junk yard here. it doesnt help that there is one sitting on a stock XJ at the agasent building at work. bugger wont sell it to me.

your kidding on the backing plates right?

its deffinantly not bolt on, but with enough time, patience, and persistance it can be done. will it look good? that depends on your skills. but ive had a hell of a time finding a factory carrier. they were deffinantly not "mass produced." at least i havent found a single one at a junk yard here. it doesnt help that there is one sitting on a stock XJ at the agasent building at work. bugger wont sell it to me.

yeah, i shouldve quoted the post about the threads at jf being retarded.

come to cali, i walk past oem tire carriers all day at the junkyard.
(might be hyperbole, but if i wanted one, i could DEFINATELY find one locally, or two, or three)

it's cool, i dont see many full auto assault rifles, or redneck bitches. wanna trade? i can load up a truck if youve got some to trade? =)

but seriously, i didnt know they were so scarce on the rust coast.

Sure, we got plenty of those! haha.

I know some other people have found them, but I can't say I see them anywhere (not even on running XJs).

are you guys talking about a rear\outside tire carrier for an XJ, i dont know if ive ever seen one. i was planning on putting it on the roof but that sounds way better

Yeah... thats a big fabrication job. No matter how much of that thing you can use. I dont even see how that would be worth it? the entire rear of the XJ hatch goes up. Meaning, you would have to make a mount that wraps around to the side... and then re-enforce under the body panel. I dont see how thats even worth it?? I'd like to be proven wrong though!

Most tire carriers I have seen on XJs attach to an after marked bumper. The hings mount is on the bumper itself, and latches to the bumper. There are even some really niffty ones that holds the tire at an angle, parallel to the rear windshield. I dig those! I'd look around, and fabricate something similar to the ones produced. Good luck!

EDIT: NH44XJ beat me! That build looks interesting on that link. Guess I was proven wrong! haha

Last edited:

mass produced my a$$ never in my life have i seen one and i got an idea about how to go about making it work following the thread on jf and i have owned 4 different cherokees and been to several jeep graveyards that had a ton of cherokees never seen an oem tire carrier wanna send me one???

Back