• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding noise during braking

srogers

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, kinda new here, and also a new guy to working on the xj in general. I'm doing my best to learn and have spent hours and hours reading threads and learning as much as I can. Anyway, here is a little info on my particular vehicle:

99 xj sport, 4.0 liter 6, D30/C8.25, auto tran, 120,000 miles.

The problem: I've been experiencing this grinding noise when I apply my brakes (it appears to be coming from one of the rear wheels, but my hearing might be biased as I have only listened to it from the drivers seat while operating the vehicle). At higher speeds, the noise is only a squeak that is in line with the wheel/vehicle speed, not the engine speed. At lower speeds (while braking still) the squeak turns into a groaning/grinding noise. The noise is not there for the entire duration that I am braking, it is only when the wheel is in a certain position, so it acts as if it is "vibrating". What I mean by this is the noise only occurs during a certain part of the wheel's rotation. Hence, it is easy to notice that the noise corresponds with the wheel speed and not the engine speed.

What I have done so far: Took off all wheels and inspected brakes. I had my rear drums remachined less than a year ago, so everything looks fine there. The pads are in good condition, nothing is loose, etc. I am somewhat confident that it is not the brakes, but again, I am new to this, so I certainly don't know everything that needs to be investigated.

Thoughts: could this noise be from a bad bearing? could it be from the E-Brake prematurely engaging? (Maybe a bad proportioning valve, etc?)

I brought it in to my local mechanic tonight, and he'll tell me what he thinks in the morning. But I don't really want to shell out the big bucks if I don't have to, I'm still one of those proverbial "college students".

So like I said, just looking for any information, if you need a more elaborate description of the problem, I'd be happy to do my best to provide that. Thanks so much for the help, and for all the incredible information I've found here already.

Wasn't a stupid question, remember that things here go a little slow after the weekends. People get back from wheeling or what ever else was going on, then get ready for work and try and catch up here when they can.

Anyway, your ears are as bad as mine!

Back