• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head gasket sealer

norm09

NAXJA Forum User
So about to replace my cyl head and i fugured id read the haynes manual first while skimming through it, it said i need a head gasket sealer that i will apply to both sides of the gasket.... my question is this needed with felpro head gaskets and what should i use? Ive never seen this stuff used before and all i have is rtv gasket maker.... will this work? i would of thought it would come with the new gasket if it was really needed

i have a 2001 cherokee L6 auto... hense the head replacement

i did search but didnt find anything

thanks man i glanced at the box when i got in no directions looked at it a lil closer and there was a really small caption that said use no sealer... guess i should look alil harder next time

thanks for ur help

thanks man i glanced at the box when i got in no directions looked at it a lil closer and there was a really small caption that said use no sealer... guess i should look alil harder next time

thanks for ur help

I figured. Most of the new felpro stuff has a sealant embedded in the gasket.

Good luck with the head replacement, make sure to get some new fasteners if you're have a paint mark, and make sure you paint mark these so the next guy knows not to reuse them.

ya already got the new head bolts this was the only thing i overlooked... just waitin for the wife to get home to watch the lil one so i can go tear it apart. i actually got a cyl head from a different company then most was gonna do a comparison and see if there any good... only cost 369 for a brand new updated casting complete head... it looks good weighs 75 lbs... so we'lll see how it turns out

Don't forget that bolt number 11 passes through the water jacket and must have sealer on it, and it is also torqued to a lower setting than the rest of the headbolts.

ya did all that but now ive hit a new brick wall... the new head didnt have the dowel pins for lining up the intake manifold... so i had to swap the old ones from the original head... this didnt go to well even tried to massage it with some heat still no luck... got one out and not the other... id leave it out and just use the bolts to line it up but the pin goes all the way into the water jacket... anyone ever run into this and where can i find one of these. in my attempt to remove the pin i royally messed it up so there is no chance of reuseing it now

nope theres a hole in the gasket and in the intake mounting face... the pin is for lining up the gasket so it doesnt move when you put the intake on... i could probly thread it and put a bolt in if i need to but id rather keep it original

1. Get on the telephone and ask customer support to send the pins.

2. Drive to most any machine shop, taking the one you got out for a sample, and buy two new pins.

ya thats what i was thinkin... was really hopin to get this done and on the road im gonna try agian to get it out tomorow... only the one end is messed up but the other end would still be able to seal so ill see what i can come up with

ya thats to bad its already in. if this one goes ill probly end up doin a complete rebuild... but on a side note with the new head on this thing is quiet... had alot of valve train noise before now its all gone... hopefully this headgasket holds up i was always under the impression that felpro was pretty good quality for oem applications

fel pro gaskets are FINE. in fact, except for two motors, i've used fel pro head gaskets under EVERY head i've bolted down. never had one fail period.

ya it had a victor reinz head gasket in it when i pulled it apart guess someone tried to fix the problem with no success... this new head is great runs quiet now ill just keep an eye on my coolant and finally do some add ons instead of repairs

Back