• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking noise coming from underneath front end

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ 4 door 4.0L auto 4x4 with around 185,xxx miles on it. I have lifted it 3.5" with an RE lift using JKS LCAs, JKS Trac bar, RE montube shocks, and a BDS t-case drop. For a few years when I would happen to ride in the passenger front seat I would occasionally feel and hear a slight clunk from beneath my feet. Never really bothered me until recently I can hear and feel it all the way over on the driver side. I have tried looking around to see if I could see something loose or parts just barely touching when they shouldn't be, but I can't seem to find anything. I checked my motor mounts to see if maybe they had gone bad (I have replaced both before in the past) and they are just fine. I checked the transmission mount and it seems fine also. I checked the shock bushings and they seem to be fine, the upper bushing is screwed down nice and tight and the lowers don't seem to have much play in them. I have also checked the control arm bushings and they appear to be fine. The JKS LCAs are fairly new so I wouldn't expect them to be worn out yet. The UCAs are factory though and have never been touched. I have tried to grab the control arm and move it to check for any play and it doesn't hardly budge. I don't know if this is the proper way to check since the vehicle weight is sitting on them. From what I can see there are not any chunks of rubber missing from dry rot that I can tell. If the UCAs are the issue I am not sure where to check next.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:
Back