• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS and check engine light

360-gpn

NAXJA Forum User
If the nuetral safety switch is bad will it cause the Check engine light to come on? The Jeep is a 1996 SE, The switch has been replaced and everything is doing what it's supposed to. I'm really trying to make sure something else didn't cause the light to come on. There was a few issues that we addressed at the same time. So if the NSS doesn't cause the light to come on, I'll know to watch for something else to light it up again. Thanks in advance.

On an OBDII vehicle as yours, yes it can. There are several codes in the P0700 group that relate to the "Transmission Range Sensor".

Did you pull the codes before? You need to pull the codes if the light comes on again.

On an OBDII vehicle as yours, yes it can. There are several codes in the P0700 group that relate to the "Transmission Range Sensor".

Did you pull the codes before? You need to pull the codes if the light comes on again.

agreed--^

you may also get the P0705 code in that group, etc. in my 97 im getting these exact symptoms, plus my reverse lights dont work, so im 95% sure its just my NSS

NSS shouldn't make the light come on. Pull the codes.

Yeah it will. He'll probably get a trans range sensor malfunction code. Both my 97's have done it. It needs to be cleaned and adjusted properly.

Thanks for the replys, it was in the shop and the NSS was replaced, I just wanted to make sure that they caught the right sensor, everything is doing what it's supposed to. Just being careful.

Thanks for the replys, it was in the shop and the NSS was replaced, I just wanted to make sure that they caught the right sensor, everything is doing what it's supposed to. Just being careful.

AN hour worth of work and you took it to the shop and had the NSS replaced? :doh:

AN hour worth of work and you took it to the shop and had the NSS replaced? :doh:

i wonder how much it cost, especially with shop markup prices :eyes:
all you would have needed to clean it up better than new is dielectric grease, CRC cleaner, and common hand tools + an hour

hmm well OP just be glad its over with. i went to clean another NSS the other day and now have to deal with the little bolt being broken at the head and the NSS still stuck on there :bawl:

i wonder how much it cost, especially with shop markup prices :eyes:
all you would have needed to clean it up better than new is dielectric grease, CRC cleaner, and common hand tools + an hour

hmm well OP just be glad its over with. i went to clean another NSS the other day and now have to deal with the little bolt being broken at the head and the NSS still stuck on there :bawl:

Yeah it took all of ten minutes to get it clean. took an hour to get the damn thing out though.

Actually it was't mine, a friend bought the jeep and the guy that sold it to replaced it as part of the deal. He also replaced the headliner, the gas gauge, and paid for a new stereo to replace the one that didn't work. And did this for the same $2900.00 dollars he paid for a 1996 SE. I thought he got a pretty good deal, no body damage, interior in nice shape and everything else works.

Where is the Transmission Range Sensor located, or is it the same as the NSS?

Same thing.

Yep.

The NSS is mult-talented. It keeps the starter from turning the engine over unless the transmission selector is in PARK or NEUTRAL by interrupting the ground to the starter relay. It controls when the backup lights come on. It also tells the TCU which gear has been selected. Busy little guy, isn't it!

AND!!!! Your Cruise Control can quit working. The TCM sends a signal to the PCM telling it the trans is in either Drive or Overdive. This plus 35mph (on a 98) is CC.

Could they possibly have complicated it more?

Back