• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Keyless Entry?

Mr. Clean

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 1990 XJ, the owners manual shoes that the little dark 1/2 globe on the ceiling console is for remote keyless entry. I do not have any kind of a key chain remote.

The big question is, does this mean I do not have remote keyless entry or do I have it and dont have the remote?

And does it have some kind of alarm built in to it as well that will cause it to not start.

I bought the car unable to start. Battery was dead so I could not pull any of the codes from the ECU OBD I.

Any input would be nice and helpful.

If I left out any info that you would need to be able to help me just ask and I will provide all that I have.

You have it but you don't have the remote. Those remotes are pretty worthless anyways, since they're IR.

Whether or not you have the security system is another thing, I'm not sure on that.

Hey mr clean ever come up to north county? I found a remote at the junkyard, it still lights up and everything. I have no use for it.

Oceanside. Are you planning on coming to Socal fest? Might be heading down to Marshalls later today

And post 1000 yeah!

pm sent. However I know nothing about programming/troubleshooting this system. Hopefully another user can help with that part

I just bought a 1990 XJ, the owners manual shoes that the little dark 1/2 globe on the ceiling console is for remote keyless entry. I do not have any kind of a key chain remote.

The big question is, does this mean I do not have remote keyless entry or do I have it and dont have the remote?

And does it have some kind of alarm built in to it as well that will cause it to not start.

I bought the car unable to start. Battery was dead so I could not pull any of the codes from the ECU OBD I.

Any input would be nice and helpful.

If I left out any info that you would need to be able to help me just ask and I will provide all that I have.
'90 was RENIX, OBDI started in '91.

Open the hood and see if you have a little pressure switch on the passenger side of the engine compartment by the latch, that the hood contacts when it is closed. This is part of the alarm system, or you can take off the door panels and see if there is a sensor attached to the back of the lock cylinders.

The alarm system will disable the vehicle and not allow it to start, but I'm 90% sure that it will only do this while the alarm is actually going off. i.e. horn beeping and lights flashing.

Have you checked the usual sensor issues?

Hey mr clean ever come up to north county? I found a remote at the junkyard, it still lights up and everything. I have no use for it.
Still lights up doesn't really mean much in terms of the system working. I have a remote keyless entry/alarm system in my '91, and even though the key fob lights up every time, it only unlocks the doors about 1/4 of the time.

This is how bad the keyless entry system is on the older Jeeps. As Kastein saw last week, I was literally sitting in the vehicle, with the remote 2 inches away, and it wouldn't do anything.

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought OBDI ended in '90 and OBDII started in '91.

If indeed it has a factory alarm, that could cause it to not start?

Would it still have spark in that case?

I have been checking all the sensors and the grounds, I am coming up blank!

That is why I started grabbing at straws and thinking factory alarm?!

Nope, RENIX ended in 90, OBD I was 91-95, OBD II started in 96.

EDIT: yeah, Mark's remote is about as useless as mine. My recommendation for the remote - get it, solder in a superbright LED instead of that little red one, use it to find the keyhole in the dark. It's more useful that way

Nope, RENIX ended in 90, OBD I was 91-95, OBD II started in 96.

EDIT: yeah, Mark's remote is about as useless as mine. My recommendation for the remote - get it, solder in a superbright LED instead of that little red one, use it to find the keyhole in the dark. It's more useful that way

Thanks for the proper info on that. Do scan tools still work on the RENIX systems?

If you can find a scan tool for it, yes... but not the same ones as modern cars. You can debug most of the RENIX engine management system with a multimeter and a tachometer though, so it's not a big deal.

My IR system works fine - operational range is limited to standing right next to the vehicle, though.

I have a third-party remote for it (www.thejeep.com/piland.html), he still sells the old IR one-button jobs.

Problem with the IR system is that it's not programmable - it's hardwired, so if you want a remote, you have to drop the sensor off the ceiling, find the little tag with the number on it (if it still has it), and contact Piland. I'd wager he's the only guy left on the planet that can still make remotes for the IR system - Jeep stopped carrying them long ago.

My Piland remote is almost 10 years old, lives in my pants pocket all the time, has been dropped multiple times, and still works beautifully - he builds them with through-mount components, rather than the extra-cheap surface-mount OEM ones. My only complaint has been the keyring loop wearing out and breaking, but I've been able to get replacement shells so far.

Rob

Rob nailed it if you want to keep the IR system. However, you should get 2 remotes and they'll set you back about $150. I bought an aftermarket RF one for $50 that came with 2 remotes and replacement fobs are cheap and easily programmed.

Please elaborate about no starting? Does it cranks but not start? How long was it sitting before you bought it?

Well the remote was exchanged, but after reading this thread it looks as though it will be of little/no use. Sorry Mr. Clean.

Back