• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

De-greased engine, cleaned TB, not starting!!

Inthemudbud

NAXJA Member #1262
Hey Guys,
Been a long time since I poted last....
Working on my '88 XJ with 4.0, Auto... when it was cold, I sprayed the engine with de-greaser, and washed it off 5 minutes later..... mostly concentrating on the block and valve cover area...but other areas got wet as well. It sat for 3-4 hours in the sun before I tackled the cleaning of the Trottle Body... I took the air intake hose off and sprayed carb cleaner into the TB and used a tooth brush to clean the black gunk off the flap and bore area.... .also sprayed down in the opening for the idle speed motor.... cleaned all around outside of TB as well...... Went to start it up and the engine turns over but no start. I checked and had spark on at least the 2 spark plugs I checked.... I disassembled the fuel rail, put on new o-rings while there...cleaned injector (didn't look too bad)...reinstalled, cleaned electrical connectors for the injectors..... still nothing..

The engine turns over but doesn't start.... smells like fuel vapor after trying to crank for 20 seconds.... Please, any help would be great!! Got a trip coming up Friday...

Every time i've cleaned the TB with carb cleaner, i've had to feather the gas pedal while cranking to get it going. Especially true if I used a lot of carb cleaner while cleaning.

At this point though, you might try holding the gas pedal to the floor while you're cranking. This will shut the injectors off since it sounds like it's now flooded. Just remember to take your foot off once it finally does fire!

like said above its flooded with gunk and carb cleaner.....take plugs out and clean them off....then heat with propane torch then put in....hold peddle to floor to clear flodded condition...should run like a top....might take a minute though. :greensmok

hopefully you didnt get the tps wet.

i like to take the TB off to clean it. if i clean it while on the engine, i spray it down with the vehicle running.

hopefully you didnt get the tps wet.

i like to take the TB off to clean it. if i clean it while on the engine, i spray it down with the vehicle running.

Thats the only way I have ever done it, spraying carb cleaner down into the TB with the engine turned off is asking for trouble.
You may have to pull & clean the plugs to get it running. Turning it over a bit while the pulgs are out may help dry it out.

ive heard of way to many horror stories about degreasing an engine that i mechanically clean the engine with a scraper, rag, and some well placed/sprayed brake cleaner. i like to use a solvent that evaperates quickly just incase i get some on something sensitive to moisture.

I imagine the tps could have gotten wet. If the tps was not working, would the spark plugs still fire? Thanks for all the input guys...every bit helps. I know, this was the first time I've ever cleaned it will not running....lesson learned : )

I imagine the tps could have gotten wet. If the tps was not working, would the spark plugs still fire? Thanks for all the input guys...every bit helps. I know, this was the first time I've ever cleaned it will not running....lesson learned : )

TPS not spark related: spark = CPS/CKP crank sensor signal to ECU/PCM, ECU/PCM signal to ICM/Coil to collapse the primary windings field = spark.

Well, installed new dist. cap, rotor and plugs. Still not starting. It does have spark, and after cranking for 30 seconds I smell gas.....

This thing doesn't even begine to try and start..... will need to get a noid light to check injectors.

Seems like I'm getting gas and spark. I did also clean the IAC ...tried to start without it installed so there was enough air... but no change. Any other suggestions....??? thanks

Guys,

Mud Princess LIVES!!!! Problem is, I'm not sure what finally was the fix. I was looking for loose connections and wiring issues with the CPS, unplugged.....tried to start, plugged back in and with full throttle held down....she began to spudder.......tried again a few seconds later and ROAR!!!

what an unfun experience... seems to happen when you need the rig...

Thanks again guys..... now let's get her ready for some wheeling!

Well, you had spark so I would put the CPS/CKP crank sensor out of the picture.

Probably cranking with the accelerator floored helped clear a flood condition.

With a TB, carb cleaner =fail. You need to use TB cleaner, the stuff in it is different and TB/electronic friendly.

Back