• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep will not start

Anadaron

NAXJA Forum User
Background information: 1998 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0l, Auto, 120k miles.

Ok so Jeep has been running great. Two days ago I took her through a puddle it was probably like 12-15" deep and splashed up around the fenders. Well I parked the Jeep at my house and come back out like an hour later to go somewhere, turn the key everything powers up. When I go to start the jeep all power dies and nothing happens. If I let the jeep sit for 30-45min the power will come back and I can attempt to start it again. It has sat now for 2 days and it is still doing it after letting it sit. Turn the key I have power to all accessories, turn the ignition to start and all the power dies. Then there is no power to anything for another hour or so then the power comes back.

Thoughts and/or suggestions before I begin digging into it?

Any real load is killing your power.

Remove the cable from the battery, charge it overnight (Ok) or 24 hours (Best). Take the battery in and have it load tested. Replace it if necessary. Clean the cables and install the battery. Hook up a voltmeter between the battery's terminals and then try and start it. If it does the same then you need to check the cables and if they are Ok the starter is a likely culprit. If it starts, then check the volts between the terminals with the engine running--you should see 13.6~14.5, if not your alternator isn't putting out.

Post up your results.

anadaron, what was the problem? This is sort of the issue im having. When I open the doors the lights are real dim and than they get brighter. Same when i turn on the key, the dash is dim and the lights gain power. The jeep does not even have the ability to lock or unlock the doors. I have had the battery tested. Its good. I pulled the alternator and had it tested. Its good. Checked all my relays and fuses, put in new battery cables and still nothing. I tried to jump it with my wifes car. It started but would not idle. I had to be on the gas to keep it running. Im just trying to avoid pulling the starter if i dont have to. To me it feels like there is a short somewhere.

Well i got it! I pulled the starter and it was good. I went back to my first thought of the battery being bad. I started to think the girl at auto zone was full of it. I bought my own load tester and sure enough it was my battery. I bought a new battery and put it in. The new battery also fixed this putting that was coming out of my exhaust and the fuel gauge not working all the time.

Back