• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old ARB on Newer XJ?

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
I found an ARB bumper for sale locally, but it's on a '89. I see ARB sells 2 versions of the bumper, what is the difference and is it worth modding to get it to fit my 98?

I could be wrong, but I thought the only difference was that the older bumpers
didn't wrap all the way around. *shrugs* Don't quote me!

Yep, you're right. The 84-96 style doesn't wrap all the way to the tire opening. I've got one on my 1998 XJ and it works just fine!!

Hmm not wrapping all the way to the tire opening might actually be better than having it go back, it's probably often trimmed off.

I fit one on my 97 with no issues. Only had it for two months though, drunk lady pulled in front of me and toasted it! :smsoap:

Im thinking I would prefer it to not wrap around, trimming as much as I can with bushwackers and going to try to fit 35s. Plus $400 for a ARB and its within driving distance...

I just picked up an arb off a 94 and it doesn't fit my 99. It hits below the side turn signal. Could it be I still had my tow hooks and bracket on? Is there a bracket to tie it farther back for stronger recovery?? Stock holes plus front crossmember just don't seem strong enough.

edit: sorry didnt mean to hijack

Last edited:
Its ok. I figured I would need to remove tow hook brackets, but I also thought this would be a strong bumper and good for winching. Is the mounting of the ARB weak?

ok without the tow hook brackets it lines up good enough to mount. Yes the mounts are weak it utilizes the 3 stock bolts on each side plus 2 on each side to the front crossmember, which is just to the inside of the 3 bumper holes.

Its ok. I figured I would need to remove tow hook brackets, but I also thought this would be a strong bumper and good for winching. Is the mounting of the ARB weak?

Somewhat yes. I would get a set of tie-in Brackets from JCR or AJ's.

From what Ive been reading Im not impressed with the mounting, so I think Ill hold off. Thanks for the good info! :cheers:

Back