• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

just bought my first xj

k.allen90

NAXJA Forum User
Title says it all. I've been reading the stickies and tech articles and just tryin to learn a little bit about these vehicles. But I'm curious as to what these vehicles are prone to and how best to maintain them and keep it running strong. Its an 89 but it has the 4.0l h/o. I don't really know the history of this jeep, but it is clean and it runs strong. I'm just new and trying to learn as much as I can. Any help is much appreciated.

Pay your dues and go NAXJA RED letters. You will get a lot of help from a great group of guys. Welcome ot the insanity!

one other thing, the jeep has been sitting for a year while the previous owner was deployed, anything I should change or do before I take it out? I checked everything and looked it all over and everything seems good except for a crap weld on the exhaust that needs to be fixed.

An 89 with a HO? In very limited company there my friend. A check of all fluids is never a bad Idea on any newly purchased vehicle. x2 on red letters, you will get your moneys worth supporting the club.
welcome to naxja, where the horse is evil, and cannot be destroyed.

Your XJ is an 89, and that is Renix and pre-OBDI/II. While many 91+ HO motors have been installed in Renix XJs, few have actually converted the entire engine management system over to the 91+ systems.

if it's an H.O., it may be an H.O. thats converted over the the renix ecu. if its a true h.o., running h.o. running gear, it'll have this ecu

it may only have parts of the 4.0 H.O., such as the cooling system, head, etc etc.

dont mean to second guess you, just wanna suggest you figure out whats what.

either way, welcome to the board,full membership pays for itself.

I just looked and it does not have that ecu, but I did drive the guys other jeep that I bought this one from and he said this one has the "h.o" and mine deff. had more get up and go tho.

but how do I get a "full" membership, i can't figure out how

a H.O. that runs like shit, will run worse than a properly running renix, the differance isnt that much. maybe he had tires too big for his gearing.. etc etc, lots comes into play.

it's possible when he did the swap, he moved the ecu somewhere else... the renix ecu is under the dash, driverside.

Dont forget there is another style ECU for the OBDII jeeps. It has a black plastic cover over it, and is is rectangular, and not squished on the corner like the earlier one pictured.

There is tons to read and just look on the forum on how to search once you learn how there are tons and tons reading material. Buy a membership if you have the extra funds and believe it's worth paying for... LOL

Pay your dues and go NAXJA RED letters. You will get a lot of help from a great group of guys. Welcome ot the insanity!

Just one of the reason's I won't join. Very money hungry on this website - never saw a website that has members that act this way. It's a shame. But anyway, thats just a regular 4.0 not a HO - you have a good engine there. Keep the oil changed and it'll last a long time.

besides, you felt naxja has benefits when you faked membership to use our vendors discounts. =)

your sins are not forgotten, you couldve just paid the money, and used the discounts legitamitely. win-win.

instead you talk shit, remain a regular forum user, but talk shit and use the discounts anyway thru fraud?

besides, you felt naxja has benefits when you faked membership to use our vendors discounts. =)

your sins are not forgotten, you couldve just paid the money, and used the discounts legitamitely. win-win.

instead you talk shit, remain a regular forum user, but talk shit and use the discounts anyway thru fraud?

Again, the way members act on here is an unexcusable way to represent something you're proudly part of.

replied via PM

Last edited:
Back