• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which hi-tec retread good for snow/mud/rain/ice?

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
Ok,i have searched. I am not looking for opinions on how good or dependable these retreads are. I am pretty much convinced they are the best tire for my xj with the money I have available for tires. I just need to know which tread design they offer would be best for snow/rain/ice and the occassional muddy road or field while hunting,no serious off-roading. sorry if this seems like a silly question,i just am not that familiar with the different tread types and what conditions they are good for. thanks for the help,Ben

have pics of the retreads you are considering? Found High Tec retreading. I would likely go with the LTX- plenty of siping, larger spaces between the tread blocks to clear mud and snow from the tire and should offer a pretty good ride and little noise. You can also do a search on the original tires too at tirerack.com and see what each tire is designed for and what are the strengths and weaknesses- which I would recommend.

Last edited:
do you have a link?

For what you want to use them for I'd go with their A/T w/the green diamond stuff. These are 31's and they turned 4 years old this past September. I'm getting their 33's this spring. The mud tires don't have any siping so they're a little squirrelly on wet or icy asphalt roads.

PDR_0010.jpg

Recaps work well in cold weather, it's generally heat that causes them so seperate, big lugs don't always work well in snow, especially road packed snow from traffic, I'd go with the A/T C's, looks like a good snow pattern, more of what I've been used to for many years. The A/T's are ok in whatever brand but they tend to float on semi packed road snow which is the snow thats left between plow runs. Might want to pick up a spare set of steel jeep wheels and just keep them for those winter tires, save your good wheels for the non salt non snow season..
Bandag also makes a good recap, they have been around for long time and were big in baja racing in the 70's and 80's..

Back