• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 Oil Pump

Gonepostal

NAXJA Forum User
Ok this might seem a bit foolish. Can anyone explain the purpose of the oil pump a 231 transfer case. I am used to dealing with mechanical devices, but every oil pump I have ever dealt with had an obvious purpose. The pump in a 231 tranfer case just seems to hang out and.....:huh:

??

I think you will find that most chain-type transfer cases have a pump to lubricate the moving parts.

Gear type transfer cases simply slosh around in the gear oil, hence no pump.

Without that little pump "hanging out" your chain-type transfer case would seize pretty damn fast.

Thanks Joe. Where is it pumping oil too. I have worked on a lot of vehicles, mostly antique cars. My experience has always been the pump moves oil through a given path or tubing to accomplish a goal, i.e. lubricating bearings or bushings. In this case is the pump merely spraying oil over the moving parts?

There is a pickup tube, with a screen filter, pump draws fluid up and then out into passages and channels to lubricate the various areas/components within the case.

The output shaft is fed by the pump and is drilled to feed the oil to the bearings/gears.Look at the pic and you will see the oil passages!
014_11.JPG

OK the system makes more sense now. I just installed my SYE and did not notice the oil passage in the output shaft. The way the pickup tube is inserted in the oil pump with no solid retention seemed kind of cheesy...guess it must work. Obviously the way the assembly is positioned in the case keeps the tube from coming loose.

Back