• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent Headlight Problems

sleestack

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 I6 aw4 sport 4x4. Lately I've a few times at night (only time I turn on the headlights) I've had a problem with the low beans not coming on. The parking lights come on fine but the low beams do not work. If I pull the turn signal stalk the high beams work fine.

The next day I'll turn on the low beams and they work fine, as do the high beams. So I know the low beam bulds are good. Could it be a bad ground or the pull out light switch. I would think if it was the switch if I moved the knob around the lights would flicker.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1. Remove the connectors from the back of both headlights.

2. Clean the connectors and treat with dielectric grease.

3. Clean the connectors on the rear of the lamps.

4. Report back results.

Good luck.

Im going to try this as soon as it stops raining but the fact that both lights go out at the same time leads me to believe this is not the problem, also if it was a dirty connection it would flicker when driving around.

Im going to try this as soon as it stops raining but the fact that both lights go out at the same time leads me to believe this is not the problem, also if it was a dirty connection it would flicker when driving around.

Read this: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1031246

Life Lesson--with most things, start simple, work your way up to the really tough stuff.

Electrical--power, grounds?

manipulating the switch will cause flickering-- sounds a lot like a faulty contact in the switch-- were it a ground at the lights, you wouldn't have high or low lights-- common ground circuit.

I've gotten intermittant light problems to go away by working the switch over and over. Work the switch back and forth (like 100 times) and see if the contacts start working better. It's worked for me.

Back