• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No power to ignition

BigBearMang

NAXJA Forum User
Once in in a while when i try to start my 96 xj .There is no power to the ignition switch and dash. Headlights and dome work. But after a few tries the power comes on and starts and runs fine .Only hapens somtimes .
Any Ideas on what to do to fix this before i get stranded ????

Ok, you have different "circuits" involved, but two major classes would be "switched" and "un-switched". Headlights, dome lights, emergency flashers, anything that gets power regardless of the key/ignition switch's position are un-switched.

Now, what you describe seems to indicate an ignition switch that is either failing or needs adjustment. By ignition switch I am talking about the electrical switch at the foot of the steering column, not the key and lock cylinder. When the key is turned in the cylinder a "remote" rod acts on the ignition switch to move it through the various positions--ACC, ON, START. The ignition switches often work loose and that "slop" lead to the symptoms you describe. That is where I would start.

BigBearMang joe_peters is corect as I experienced the same problem with my 94' XJ. I changed it out and all was good afterwards. Just make sure that you put the rod back in the same position as your ignition switch may turn and moves it.
Lil Joe

I wonder what year they changed to the switch being right next to the key cylinder? I know my 2000 does not have the rod.

Good catch Winterbeater, the 95+ would have the different style.

Switch.

Back