• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ a/c compressor on XJ?

4Doors

NAXJA Forum User
I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in OEM tech since it deals with stock parts, so move it wherever it needs to be.

I'm getting ready to have my a/c charged and ready for summer and it seems like I read somewhere recently that the ZJ had a bigger or somehow stronger a/c compressor, which would provide colder air. Anyone hear anything like this before? If for some reason I need to replace my compressor (just bought this Cherokee last fall), then I'd certainly be interested in upgrading if possible. Thanks.

I looked at this when I was swapping out the XJ accessory bracket. The mounting holes on the XJ and YJ compressors are 3.5 inches wide and 5 inches deep, while the mounting holes on the ZJ compressor are 5 by 5 (or something like that). The ZJ compressor has a larger circumference, which presents some potential problems for you. For one, you will need the ZJ bracket. In turn, that means you'll be losing the mech fan shaft so you need to go to all electric fans. Finally I'm not completely sure that the XJ hood will close with the larger compressor. Maybe you could experiment at the junkyard with the latter part first so you don't waste your time on the rest of it.

Thanks ehall, and come to think of it I'm pretty sure it was your thread I came across! I was searching about e-fan installation and wiring and your thread had me thinking in a whole new direction... but I decided it was more than I wanted to worry with. Perhaps I should revisit it and think it over some more though. Thanks for the response, I do appreciate it.

Bumping an ancient thread... can anyone confirm that the ZJ a/c compressor would provide better air conditioning performance than the XJ a/c compressor? Has anyone actually done this swap?

I'm gathering parts for an electric fan swap and need to decide which accessory bracket to get to delete the clutch fan hub (ZJ bracket, or 4cyl XJ/YJ bracket).

Finally getting my a/c working is high on my to-do list before next summer, so if a ZJ a/c compressor would be an upgrade it might be something I'd be interested in doing.

I've never actually been in an XJ with working a/c, so for all I know maybe the factory a/c performance is perfectly adequate... however my '91 still has the factory R12 system and I'm concerned it won't get cold enough should I convert it to R134. I've heard that R12 will cool better but it just seems more practical to convert it, I'm planning to keep this Jeep for a long time and it would be a lot easier to service in the future with an R134 system, etc...

Thoughts?

Back