• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY beadlocks, steel inner ring w/ aluminum outers?

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have done quite a bit of searching and came up with very little of what I was looking for. Im looking to see if there are any diy weld on beadlock kits with a steel inner ring and aluminum outer ring. I like the cheap and easy beadlock option of weld on kits for steel wheels but would prefer an aluminum outer ring due to rust and crappy rusty wheels look. I would prefer a wheel that does not rust as it comes in contact with rocks while wheeling but I cannot convince myself to spend a ton of money on nice aluminum wheels to onyl beat them up wheeling. I have searched pirate, google, here and jf with very little results. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is this even a safe/reliable option or is there a good reason why i cannot easily find a kit?

This is more for future personal reference as I do more research with the possibility of starting over with a new build, thanks.

Last edited:
I cannot convince myself to spend a ton of money on nice aluminum wheels to onyl beat them up wheeling.

Get the correct width rims so that you won't really have the opportunity to scrape them on rocks?

If they can still do their job, and you are utilizing them offroad, who cares what they look like, if they have a few scratches in them.

How do you plan on welding the aluminum ring to the steel wheel? Or the steel ring on an aluminum wheel if you chose to go that route?

He is talking about a steel inner ring, i.e. the ring that you weld to the steel rim is steel, and the outer ring, that bolts to that inner ring is aluminum.

Get the correct width rims so that you won't really have the opportunity to scrape them on rocks.

You need to get out more. :D

But seriously, there is always the chance of scraping the wheels.

I'd just get steel wheels and be done with it. I'm not a fan of aluminum rims on a wheeling rig. Seen them crack before. I'd rather stare at some rust then worry about driveability.

One of my aluminum wheels got dented and straightened with a hammer, but Scrappy mangled a steel wheel so bad that he ended up just running my aluminum spare for the rest of the day. Opie's got an MRT steel beadlock wheel that rubs on his brakes, too. Can't beat the looks of a nice aluminum either.

I don't know if Trailready still offers them, but they used to have steel wheels with aluminum outer rings, so the concept is fine. You could try calling any aluminum beadlock manufacturer who offers the same number of bolts per ring as the DIY kit you want, and see about getting some "replacement" rings.

Back