• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 Experts/Pros

EndlessMtnFab

NAXJA Forum User
Are there any folks here that are "better than average" with their knowledge of these units?

I'm running into an issue with the reverse idler gear on a trans that I semi-recently took apart. Basically --- the reverse idler gear is able to slide along the shaft *somewhat* unassisted and lock itself into gear without needing to hit the reverse shift-head or rail.

I've read the manual up & down and do not see anything that I missed. I swapped the idler with another idler that was in slightly better shape. The old idler was reinstallled to the spare trans and does not have the same issue. You can force it into reverse without using the head --- but it's rather difficult compared to my "good trans" The "good" trans has been partially disassembled so that I could re-set the idler where it belonged. Got ten to twelve good shifts with the trans standing "vertical" and then the idler slipped again. I doubt it's because the trans is vertical ... but I want to confirm regardless. Last thing I need for this focker to lock itself into reverse on the road and I would be unable to get into any other gear.

Has anyone else ever run into this? If you need to discuss in greater depth ... I am can call you at a convienent time. Just PM me the number.

:worship:

Joe
EndlessMtnFab

Last edited:
Figured I would do a follow-up this afternoon.

With the help of a friend at a trans shop ... we determined that the poppet ball & spring were a little "tired" resulting in the idler's ability to slide along the shaft.

I grabbed the spring from the spare tranny I had. In addition, Mark sourced a small steel ball (from his parts drawer) to add some extra preload. Assembled it all together & all is well with the world.

I can always get a smaller ball if I find it too difficult to shift into reverse. Conversely ... I can locate a new spring (same length & stiffer or longer length & same stiffness). For now --- I will run it "as is" and see how it goes.

Joe

Back