• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Problem

SFW516

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday I was unfortunate enough to get into an accident in my 90 XJ. The good news is that no one was hurt and the damage to my Jeep isn't too bad. The radiator was busted as well as the AC evaporator was broken as well as the drivers side headlight. The radiator is getting repaired and I picked up an evaporator from the junkyard. BTW is there anything I need to know when I hook up the evaporator? I am using new O-rings.

Now down to the problem I wanted to ask about originally. My drivers side turn signal does not flash now. Both front and rear bulbs light up but it won't flash. The other side functions normally. Any idea's on what to check? I will be checking out All Data tonight to see what info I can get there.

Anyway thanks for your time. Here is a pic of the damage, just in case you were interested.

picture001ay.jpg

Last edited:
Check the bulb, the ground on the light itself, and also the connector behind the bulkhead, near the air cleaner. It's possible that you have a ground problem and the wrong filament in the light is coming on. When you check signals, make sure it lights the lower (shorter) of the two filaments.

Thanks for the help, I will check the grounds. Looking at the bulb though it is a single filament bulb. So the only think I can figure if its lighting up its got power and ground so it must be the flasher. Anyway I'll take a look at it in the morning.

that should be a double filiment bulb for park/flash perhaps the bulb isnt generating enough amperage to make the flasher warp(blink)

Wiring may have gotten pinched in something when you hit things. X2 on the grounds and flasher module also.

that should be a double filiment bulb for park/flash perhaps the bulb isnt generating enough amperage to make the flasher warp(blink)

I think there were at least a couple of variations on the bulb set-ups through the years and models.

Any single filament bulb I've seen has the two little side tits at the same level and the double has them at two different levels. They will not fit in the socket for the other without jamming in.

I think there were at least a couple of variations on the bulb set-ups through the years and models.

Any single filament bulb I've seen has the two little side tits at the same level and the double has them at two different levels. They will not fit in the socket for the other without jamming in.

Yep, that's what I've seen.

The turn signal bulbs on the front are wedge base IIRC... I don't recall however if you can jam a 2-filament wedge into a 1-filament socket or vice versa.

The turn signal bulbs on the front are wedge base IIRC... I don't recall however if you can jam a 2-filament wedge into a 1-filament socket or vice versa.

I have found them jammed in both ways--never underestimate the determination of the average auto owner! :laugh2:

Now I feel stupid after looking at the diagram and checking my power and ground to my side blinker I figured the only possible problem was going to be a lack of current, I was thinking corrosion or loose connector somewhere.

Come to find out all it was was the lower blinker bulb was out the double filament orange bulb. So it wasn't drawing enough juice to make the flasher work. Really obvious problem, I guess I was thinking about that side bulb a little too much.

Anyway I got things back together and the Jeep is up and running again. A few more dents but its back to normal now.

Back