• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EGR Question

JoeyBottles

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1989 Cherokee with the 4.0 and my factory egr valve was rotted. I bought a used valve from a 1987 cherokee pioneer with a 4.0 and it is much larger than the one that was originally found on the truck. The bolt holes and everything else fit, so i bolted it up. I tried to line all the air hoses up from the diagram in the haynes manual (sketchy diagram). The problem with this egr valve is it only has one place for a hose to connect to, while the original one had two hoses. I'm not sure if different egr valves were used, and if I can even use this particular valve or buy another one.

The plastic piece connected to the valve has a hole for another hose though. I'm thouroughly confused about this. Thanks in advance for any help.

EGR used Renix 87-90.

The 88-90 also had a vacuum transducer valve--for back pressure, extra tube on the EGR valve and the transducer valve is the plastic piece that looks like the saucer section of the Enterprise, has three nipples--in and out on top, back pressure on bottom.

Just hook your vacuum line from the EGR solenoid directly to the single tube on the 87 EGR valve for a temporary fix until you get around to putting the later EGR valve on with the transducer valve in place.

Note: when you are at the salvage yards look for good transducer vacuum valves, they are fairly expensive from the dealers and I have a feeling they may soon be discontinued, and when that happens we all will be installing 87 EGR valves.

EDIT: just looked on rockauto.com at the EGR for the 1990, they picture it with the vacuum transducer valve attached, so it looks like they come with the aftermarket EGR.

Last edited:
What he said plus a little note I always throw in here, having had an 87: because of the back pressure valve in the diaphragm, an 87 EGR will always fail the vacuum test even when it's good. Do not toss a one-piece valve because it appears to have a leaky diaphragm. It's made that way.

I still have the original transducer, and it is in good shape, so i would probably have to get a new egr valve then. Another question to this would be if i could get the older style transducer, the one from the 87' and just eliminate the "newer" style one. I don't have to pas emissions so is this possible to try and save some cash?

Not sure I am following you.

The 87 EGR system does not use the vacuum transducer valve--hence only one tube on the EGR valve.

As I posted above a temp fix is to just put the transducer valve, along with the bottom and output vacuum hose pieces, in a drawer until you can get the correct 88-90 EGR valve, and just hook the input vacuum line from the EGR solenoid directly to the single tube on the 87 EGR valve.

Oh, ok. I am NOW following you, lol. So that plastic piece didn't come with the 87. I understand you're saying I can temporarily fix it without the transducer, will there be any adverse affects if I can the transducer altogether? And just run the line directly to the solenoid? I'm on a very limited budget and I'm trying to correct all the mistakes of the p.o. and if I can eliminate it altogether to save the cash permantely that would be great so I can spend the 100 or so on something else. Thank-you, I'm not new to xj's, but this is the first time i have encountered a problem with the egr system.

I wouldn't "can" anything. I am an absolutist when it comes to following emission laws. That said, however, I would just put the transducer in a drawer and when you can snag the correct EGR valve at the salvage yard or save your soda can money to buy one then put it back the way it left the factory.

rockauto.com has some on sale for about $58, but with shipping that will rip a Benjamin a new one.

AFAIK EGRs for 88+ are not available without the transducer. At Autozone they cost just under $80. Depending on your state's inspection requirements, you can simply block it off and plug the vac line as a workaround (some with no emissions testing block it off permanently).

Here in CA, elimination is not an option so I need to maintain a *fully* functioning EGR.

thank-you guys, i will just run it without the transducer for now and eventually get around to putting it in the right way. I don't have to pass emissions anymore in mass, but i'd rather be more environmentally friendly so eventually i will put it in correctly.

My stuff works except for my vac solenoid.. But when I swapped in a good one, I didnt notice a mileage difference, so whatever

Back