• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O2 Sensor compatible?

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an almost new O2 sensor (from the downpipe) from a 96 that I'd like to throw in my 89 as it's getting poor gas mileage still and have recently done a tune up...

Would this work or is the year difference going to hurt it?

I dunno if the O2 sensor has ever been changed, the previous owner said the only thing he ever really did was have the oil changed regularly and new battery....

I'm pretty sure RENIX used a 3 wire O2 sensor and I know 96 (OBD-II) uses a 4 wire, so I don't think it'll work.

The Renix does not use a typical O2 sensor. You need the right one. By the way, if the O2 sensor is shot, most likely the cat is too; however, that might not matter much to you since you probably don't have to test emissions in Idaho.

The Renix does not use a typical O2 sensor. You need the right one. By the way, if the O2 sensor is shot, most likely the cat is too; however, that might not matter much to you since you probably don't have to test emissions in Idaho.

Depends on the county here. I have to do them. The renix sensor is a variable resistor type and the HO is a more conventional type that acts as a sort of battery to create a certain voltage IIRC. Either way, they won't interchange.

Poo on a stick.

I was planning on replacing the cat/muffler anywho. I'm getting some awesome noise from the muffler and figure the cat is probably toast as well. Seeing as how it's probably stock as well.

Unfortunately I live in Boise where (Ada county) requires emissions testing.

Thanks for the info.

This seems weird to me. I put a Jeep 4 wire oxygen sensor into a 1990 Mazda Miata which originally had a single wire oxygen sensor with no problem.The sensor was wired O2 output , O2 ground, O2 heater input, O2 heater ground. I have a narrow band O2 gauge and it works fine. Are you guys sure your posts are correct and accurate?

This seems weird to me. I put a Jeep 4 wire oxygen sensor into a 1990 Mazda Miata which originally had a single wire oxygen sensor with no problem.The sensor was wired O2 output , O2 ground, O2 heater input, O2 heater ground. I have a narrow band O2 gauge and it works fine. Are you guys sure your posts are correct and accurate?

Jeep 4 wire does not = Renix sensor. The Renix ones use around 5 volts while the 4 wire will make up to 1 volt.

So yes, they're right.

Hmmmm. I thought all oxygen sensors fluctuated from 0 volts to 1 volt. Next time I have the DRB hooked up to one of my Renixes I'll see if I can read the voltage.

The resistive ones are used in a voltage divider configuration by the ECU, so you'll still see a voltage measured. This is also how the temp sensors are measured, and how the TPS operates - except it has both portions of the voltage divider built into it, being a variable resistor.

I checked the FSM last night on sensor diagnostics and was surprised to see that the Renix O2 sensor worked that way. The DRB just shows rich/lean BTW. Crud, I was hoping to update both my Jeeps to 4 wire sensors. I guess the Japanese were ahead of Jeep in the 90s.

Back