• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tach reading 1100 rpm with key off

cj5wagomando

NAXJA Forum User
1987 wagoneer limited 4.0 L Auto

(this is my daughters rig and I am trying to sort out a couple issues on it)

I just noticed this.......

With the key off the tach needle will not relax to zero....it hovers at about 1100rpm -it is getting power and may be a cause of a consistently weak battery.

Where would I look to try to figure why/where the Tach is experiencing constant power with key-off.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Dave.

Tach is powered off the IP fuse. The 3-wire connector on the ICM connector "C" is the tach signal, it is reading off a ground for the tach signal.

You can also access the signal at the D1 diagnostic connector, pin 1.

Your tach may have simply failed. You can try disconnecting "C" at the ICM and see if it goes to zero.

Thanks Joe,

I had the whole 3-wire plug removed from the ICM at lunch a few minutes ago and the tach stayed around 11000. the tach seems to work just fine while the engine is running, but drops to zero when turned off and then goes up to 11000 within one second or so.

Dave

Curious. Some kind of dust bunny in the IP? Might pull it, clean it, see what happens.

Sorry, instrument panel.

I did not pull the IP but did disconnect the batt and pulled fuses. It seems my Tach just wants to rest at 1100.

I am taking it on a bit of a trip for the weekend so pulling the IP is not in the cards, but maybe next week.

I appreciate the responses.

Dave.

Just wondering, - while the ignition is off, might try shorting the Green/White tach wire to ground and see if the tach drops (parks) at zero rpm. Sorry I don't know what pin that is.

If that doesn't cause it to drop to zero, wonder if the tach movement itself has become magnetized? I'll run a big speaker magnet past one of our older XJ's tach to see if it will pull it off of zero.

It never shut off, just went into silent economy mode... :greensmok:repair:

Mine does this too;
Off: Needle relaxes
On: Needle jumps to 0
Run:Needle shows respective RPM

Now to figure out why mine recently started to stay at zero,
even while revving engine

Back