• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Separating Muffler from Catalytic Converter

macidgit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Hey all,

I've searched for some specific answer to this question, without much luck. So, I'll try the online experts for some help...

I have a 2000 XJ, 4.0, NP241, AW4, with the stock exhaust system still on it. I just purchased a dynomax cat-back system (couldn't resist the p$75 price) and it all looks very simplet to install, EXCEPT...how do I get the muffler separated from catalytic converter?

The shop manual says use a torch to heat the flange, and then pull of the muffler, but all I have is a little hand-held propane torch. Will that unit generate enough heat to do the job? If not, am I forced to take it to a shop?

Thanks for any input! ~ Steve

Thats weird,my 2000's cat is bolted on both ends?
16117.jpg

Yeah, that is weird. Mine came unbolted rather easily.

Break out the huge hammer and give it a good wack. If all else fails,
it won't kill you to use the torch. Even if it doesn't heat it up enough
it's worth a try.

In AZ, TX, CA, FL, etc, your exhaust will just fall apart by looking at it crossly. In the snowy white North country, snow melting road salt has fused everything together.

The OP will have to cut the muffler off. I use an air powered cut-off wheel or the cutting blade in my 4" angle grinder and cut a slit in the muffler tube. A hammer and chisel, or better yet an Air Chisel, will help open up the pipe. No matter how you do it you will need safety glasses, a BFH, and a good supply of swear words.

Some late model Cherokees have flanged exhaust and some have the standard muffler clamps.

Just went through this exact scenario on my 2000. Whacked on it with a mallet with no luck. Cut slit in it with 4" angle grinder and it fell off.

Thanks for the input so far...mine isn't "bolted", but rather the muffler has a flange with 2 threaded studs (not bolts) that are "pushed" into the flange on the converter creating a friction fit of sorts. That is to say, there are no nuts on the cat side of the studs.

I assume that is the normal arrangement, at least for later models?

when your done beating it with a mallet, or cutting a slit in it...if the new one doesn't bolt on make sure to put some antiseize b/w the two surfaces and you shouldn't have to worry about it again.

In AZ, TX, CA, FL, etc, your exhaust will just fall apart by looking at it crossly.

Mine didn't come off quite that easily. I had the get a neighbor to swear at it for me while I looked crossly at it.

Back