• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vibe/noise at startup

thooogy

NAXJA Forum User
When I start the engine it kicks a bit as it starts - almost like a backfire, but lately I realize it comes from under the floor (transfer case?) and I can feel it as much as hear it. It's just a single jolt then idles fine. If I restart engine soon after it doesn't do it - just when it's been sitting (and not every time).

I only noticed it after I installed new exhaust (Dynomax catback & Magnaflow cat) but I wonder if this is the old You-Need-An-SYE-Thing. I have some other symptoms (front end shimmy at 50-55 mph) but I've never heard of this one. Any ideas or tips on troubleshooting? Thanks

'99 XJ, NP 231, AX-15, 3" lift

Last edited:
i doubt a You-Need-An-SYE-Thing is neexded at start up.

i would recheck the exhaust work you did. check the clearance of cat convertor and crossmember and all hangers. at start up, the engine can shift a bit(also check motor mounts) and twist the exhaust causing the pipe between the cat convertor and muffler to come in contact with crossmember.

Back