• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0L swap questions

truck7575

NAXJA Forum User
I have a pristine 86 jeep wagoneer with 2.8 V6 and a rust bucket 88 cherokee with 4.0L. I have swapped in the 4.0L and have swapped out all of the engine bay wiring harness and have mated it up to the fuse box of the wagoneer. I have switched engines transmissions and transfercases. Everything is hooked up just like it was in the Cherokee but it wont start, I have had a problem with the starter while it was in the cherokee so I'm not sure if that is the problem or if I need to change out more stuff. Do I need to switch out the fuel pumps and fuel lines and do I need to switch any of the interior wiring harness? The only other parts i need to do outside is the transmission and tranny shift linkages as far as what I have swapped in so far. Can anyone tell me if any of the interior wiring from the Cherokee is needed to make the 4.0L run and if the carberated fuel pump needs to be swapped out for the fuel injected fuel pump from the Cherokee. Also do I need to swap the fuel lines the wagoneer has three lines and the cherokee has 2 lines. Please help!

wont start, but does it turn over?

have you listened for the fuel pump to prime or if the relay clicks?

have you tried jumping/bypassing the starter solinoid?

Really?

Yes, you MUST use the appropriate fuel pump--if memory serves me right the 2.8 has something like a 14 psi pump and the 4.0 is 31 and 39 psi depending on vacuum to the pressure regulator.

And, as 89xj asked, won't start or won't crank?

Back