• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 tailcone question

fabjunkie

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, todays problem is I have transfer case fluid spewing out of the rear tailcone of the transfer case on my 91.

I resealed it yesterday, and also inspected the yoke, and both are nice.

My question is this...underneath the seal in the tailcone itself are a number of slots, I assume for venting or fluid drainback or whatever, but only one of which is open back to the transfer case.

On my transfer case, the slot ios on the bottom, and I was wondering is it supposed to be on the bottom for drainback, or on the top for venting?? Im thinking maybe someone put my tailshaft hsng back on with the slot clocked in the wrong place.

Reason I suspect that is the fluid is well below the filler hole, but there was a bunch of fluid that rushed out when I took the driveshaft out. But the bottom of the tailshaft is quite a bit higher than the fill hole. Maybe the fluid got back by the bushing and seal and can't drain back??? If the slot is supposed to be on the top for venting, then no fluid would be able to get back that far in the first place.

Oh for crying out loud! I've been going to autozone to get the seals (two of em) and they have the wrong friggin number in their computer.. :explosion

they have listed for rear output shaft of a 231 transfer case a timken 2506..WRONG!! the shaft dia of the seal is 1.563", the yoke measures 1.513!!! no wonder the thing is puking everywhere!

I looked it up under chicago rawhide (skf) and their number 15047, is for a 1.5" shaft.. Perfect!

Autozone does it again, and you didn't get flowers or a dinner, right?

yep... you wouldn't believe how long it took me to get the right 4wd extension housing seal for an AW-4. I tried twice (and got the wrong one twice) before I ended up just having the counter troll turn the monitor so I could watch him scroll down the list and point at the one I wanted.

well crap, should've searched before I a)went to AZ, and b)installed the 2506, and c) noticed my t-case lube pumping out the rear....amazing what search finds ;)

To the OP and anyone else who finds this thread, the 3 bolt holes on the tailshaft hsg and t-case are not equally spaced, so there is only one orientation where the holes line up.

Looks like Timken 4370N is the correct number. AZ is showing that PN also for NP242 and 249, I dunno if that's right.
I am rebuilding my rear driveshaft with the slipsection from an 89 YJ with 258, its the same as the 95 XJ. So I had AZ look up that number, that was also Timken 4370N.

If I had looked the p/n up online before I left, it wousl have given the wrong number too. Store computer and online parts list seem to be the same. I shot a message to AZ via the online 'contact us' form, that might be interesting.

If Azone is anything like NAPA, they won't do anything about it. I've reported hundreds of catalog discrepancies over the years and not a single one has been changed. We finally got a system in the cataloging to hit a button and report a mislabeled part number, but as far as I can tell they are either to busy to get around to it, or there are not enough people reporting them to make it worth changing in the system.

Kudos to you guys for coming back to update the threads with solutions and correct part numbers once you've found them, I wish more people would do that. It makes it much easier to find information vs digging through a dozen or so dead end threads.

Back