• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another ignition switch problem

in2fords

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and found alot of questions if a ign switch could be bad but didnt find any with my problems :(

I replaced my ignition switch 2 years ago and had no problems, sold the xj and recently got it back. The key was stuck in the ignition, wouldnt go to the off position, it would start and if pressure was kept on it it would turn of but once you let go of it it would go back to the on position on its own. I knew it was the switch so I pulled it and sure enough it was broken inside making it so it wouldnt go back to the off/lock position just as I thought.

I went to the store and picked up a new one, made certain it was the same as the old one and even checked other stores websites to make sure they list it as the correct part. When I tried to install it I found a few problems, the end of the rod that goes in the side of the switch is facing the wrong direction. It faces straight up instead of sideways, I can get it to go side ways but it doesnt seem like it should. There is a couple holes in the bottom of the switch but Im almost certain it goes in the side, right?

The second problem is that the rod is to long, by almost a inch!! and the last thing is that the rod goes the opposite direction that the switch needs to go, if it was hooked up then the key being in the off position would be the start position for the switch! Im very puzzled by this, I remember it being very easy the first time I did this. I tried seeing if I was mounting the switch wrong but there is NO other way it can go, the bolts are to teh left of the switch inbetween the headlight switch and the ignition switch, this makes the ignition plug connection facing almost straight up, is this right? I tore apart the steering column, took the plastic off, in the process I eliminated the little lever to turn the key all the way off, the key has full range of motion and it looks like the ignition rod is connected correctly and is moving correctly, I think in my opinion. There is nothing else between the tilt function and the switch right? the ignition rod goes straight from the tilt on the left side to the switch right? this is so wierd, I've never had this problem before. I really dont think the guy that had it did anything to the column, it doesnt look like anyone moved anything but I guess I could be wrong.

If Pics are needed I can get them easily.

Thanks, Jeremy

nevermind, Im an idiot :) had the switch upside down so the connector part was facing straight up instead of to the right.

Now I feel like a real idiot :) I can install a ford transmission into a Jeep using almost all factory parts no problem but a silly switch has me stumped for 2 days!

Glad you got it worked out.

Thanks for following up. No shame in it if you goofed at first. We all have done similar things. :)

Back